Friday, December 12, 2014

Repentance.....A Fresh Start



II Corinthians 7:10
For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted. But the sorrow of the world produces death.

I saw it last night....
I saw it with my own eyes....

Two people coming under the influence of God's Holy Spirit, break down and confess and repent.
I saw tears streaming down their faces.
Eyes filled with a look of "please, God...please forgive me."
Forgiveness not for being caught in sin.
But forgiveness for having sinned.

I saw the weight of shame and guilt lift off of them.
Cries amid the sobs of "I'm so sorry for what I've done"...."I'm so sorry....Oh God, please forgive me".

Then I saw the sweet release of freedom come to each one as God truly did lead them to a place where each received that forgiveness that only God can give.
The tears turned from sadness and grief, to joy and release.
That, my friend, is godly sorrow turned to true freedom and joy.

Sometimes the greatest gifts we could ever hope to receive during Christmas come in the form of unseen, powerful moves by God's Holy Spirit upon our life.
The release of a soul from the bondage of worldly sorrow and shame.
The freedom of God's love and forgiveness, as He pours out upon the one who is broken and trapped. Money can't buy it, and words really can't describe it. But it is as real and tangible as the chair I am sitting in here at my computer.


Romans 2:4 reads: Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance,a nd longsuffering, not knowing that the kindness (goodness) of God leads to repentance?
The very nature and character of God is love. It is that love...that divine choice to look with favor on those who truly are broken by their sin...broken and looking for redemption for what they have done. The devil comes and heaps worldly sorrow and condemnation on  those who don't look to God. Condemnation accuses over and over and over again. It keeps you face down in the muck and mire of the memory of the sin. It causes shame and guilt to rise up in the individual, which becomes a crushing weight. Such toxic emotions usually fuel and addiction, as the individual seeks relief.

God, on the other hand, brings conviction through the Holy Spirit. 

His way is the show us the wrong that we have done, causing us to take responsibility for our actions. Then He brings forgiveness and release. We can rise up and continue on in this life journey. You know....I sure am glad He got the job being God..aren't you?

I'll be speaking tonight at Celebrate Recovery in Centre, Ala.
Starts at 6:15 p.m. / Come on out and join us, if you are in the area.

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla.
God on you..
mb

By the way...special shout out to Peggy C. for the Christmas card. Many thanks and love back to you.
Michael and Vicki


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...