Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A True Worshiper


Psalm 42:2
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?"

The one thing I am indebted to the Vineyard for is it taught me how to worship. Oh, there wasn't a worship 101 class, but the Vineyard provided a safe place where I was not inhibited from worshiping God. I read in Scripture about how people would posture themselves before God when they worshiped.
Some would raise their hands to God....
They would even clap for God....
I read where some got down on their knees as they worshiped, while still others would lay face down on the ground before God.

I kept asking myself, "Why do we not do this in America?" Of course the answer is not very difficult. Sometimes we don't exhibit these worship attitudes because of the culture the church has created. Some would look at such worship behavior and deem it out of place, or label it as someone trying to draw attention to themselves.

The one thing I do on Saturday night with Vineyard ReCovery is to offer a place where everyone is comfortable in worshiping God. I try not to manipulate or force people in their worship. But there is someone on Saturday who has found that place of uninhibited worship. They come every Saturday night and for a brief period of time, as we worship, this person is lost in God.
They have said on several occasions that when the worship music starts, the room fades away and everyone in it, and all that's left is God and them.

If asked about their singing, they would reply that they considered themselves to not have a good singing voice. But I tell you the truth, when they worship, heaven comes down. Their heart and spirit takes them to a place where the words of God stream forth in song from this person. I have stood and listened to this person prophesy in song, and known without a doubt that God was singing back to us.

Who is this person?
My wife, Vicki.

She is a worshiper. Her fire and passion to worship burns brighter than anyone I know. If I am on the worship team, I always find her in the room to watch, and listen for God to speak through her.She truly does enter into the presence of the Living God.

I remember years ago, she and I were visiting another church. It just so happened that the Sunday we picked to visit with them was when they had a visiting soloist. The music was nice (not my preference) and the man singing was truly talented. The last song of the service was "We Are Standing On Holy Ground". The music started and Vicki leaned over and said, "He singing it! I've got to do it".  "Do what?"I replied. "I've got to stand up....that's what God wants us to do." Me being the great man of faith that I am, looked at her and said, "Are you crazy...these people don't know us...you can't do that." So Vicki sat there in her seat and began to vibrate under the presence of the Holy Spirit. I just knew that if she stood up, she'd embarrass herself because this was the type of church who did not appreciate outburst and posturing in their worship. The music continued. What did my wife do? She stood up, both hands raised, face turned to heaven, totally lost in Jesus. Funny part is, the moment she stood up, the whole congregation shot up also.....me? I was the last one to stand. I don't think I was much of a pleasure to God that day. But I learned. My wife's action and posture opened the door for that entire church to stand and worship. Everyone was waiting for someone else to tell them it was o.k. to take this step in their worship. Like I said earlier, that's my wife. A most uninhibited....lover of Jesus.....worshiper of God. I've learned a lot from her when it comes to worship, and I am truly grateful that on Saturday night she is in the middle of our meeting, worshiping like it's nobodies business. Shouldn't we all be like that? I think maybe yes, we should.

God on you...

mb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh that we all would forget about ourselves and just worship Jesus as He is worthy of worship. What would happen if we did?

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...