Monday, January 5, 2015

It Was A Recovery Weekend


Philippians 2:13
For it is God who works IN you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

I do not wish to use hyperbole in this posting this morning...to exaggerate what took place. But I also do not want to downplay what happened either. Last night I spoke at Catalyst Recovery, as they moved into the Vineyard to hold their meetings. There was an excitement among the people that seemed to have been kicked up a notch. I moved among the folks talking, shaking hands and hugging necks. Listened to the stories of success and prayed for the ones who were still "shaky" in this thing called recovery. As I stood back and watched everything unfold, the one word that came to mind was "Family".
It wasn't just a meeting. It wasn't just another recovery place to get a court card stamped. It was a family. A community where you were accepted and loved. It wasn't a place where one could make excuses for their wrong and bad choices that had been made. It was a place where you could be encouraged to get back up and try it again. 

As I sat back on the sectional, the worship began, and I began to weep. There was this incredible joy that came over me. I felt God's good pleasure in what was happening. I began to pray, thanking Him for His faithfulness in raising up Seth and the people who work behind the scenes at Catalyst Recovery. I found it very interesting that all three leaders of the recovery meetings at Gadsden Vineyard were in the same room last night. I saw Amy Brown going around hugging people and catching up from the last time they had met. She shared briefly with me about what was going on with Thriving Recovery. New things ahead in 2015 for them. That is the beauty of what God is doing in the recovery meetings. No one is content to maintain what has happened before. There is a genuine searching out for God's direction for this coming year. 

Lot's of laughter during the service. Laughter is good, especially if you have lived out on the edge of society because of addiction. But the point that was emphasized and driven home was "You don't have to live that old life style any more." Ministry time brought a number who committed to search out God's will for 2015. To be a part of a community of believers and not just attend a meeting. 

After the meeting was over and I was making my rounds to say goodbye, I ran into Greg Birdwell. "What do think? Was it a good meeting or what?" I asked him. He had the same thought I did. God planted a lot of His seeds in the collective hearts of those who had come. There was a sense of satisfaction as this first meeting ended, and preparation for the next one began.

Like I told everyone Saturday night and again last night....."I'm excited about where God is taking us this year!" 


God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...