Saturday, January 31, 2015

"Revive And Renew us, O Lord!"






Habakkuk 3:2
O LORD, revive your work in the midst of the years....
In the midst of the years make known....
In wrath, remember mercy.

Psalm 85:6
Will you not revive us again, that your people
may rejoice in You?

What is "revival?"
To those of us who live here in the Southern part of the United States, revival is a series of planned church meetings that usually take place during the summer months. An outside speaker is invited to come and preach in hopes that this "new" voice...this "fresh" voice might stir the hearts of those who attend.

Real revival is the renewal of the first love of all who claim to be followers of Jesus. This awakening of this first love results in the church moving into a new dimension of living. The worship takes on a new dynamic as people turn their attention to Jesus. There is a greater awareness of the kingdom mandate to "Go and make disciples".  I think sometimes the church misreads this part of Matthew 28. The church's greatest desire is to make converts, not disciples. This renewal of first love is of such a degree that it propels us out of the church and into the marketplace. We are rocketed off of the pew (or chair) and into the work place. We truly do become the arms, legs, voice and heart of Christ. In other words, we begin to "Do the Stuff" as John Wimber would say. We begin to operate under the ministry or service of Christ.

Revival also includes an uncovering in the hearts of those who are a part of it. Sin that has managed to escape notice or has laid hidden is suddenly revealed. The Holy Spirit invades the hearts of those that have grown cold toward Jesus. This is a hard thing to write because as over the past 21 months, God has been unraveling my own heart like a cheap sweater. I have seen selfishness...bitterness.....an unhealthy need to be accepted....judgmental...and on and on. Is it embarrassing? You bet, but it has given me an opportunity to be free of such. Am I finished with all the uncovering? I'd like to think so, but if I know God...there are still more layers and levels that will have to be dealt with. I am grateful that He loves me enough to show me and then give me an opportunity to repent and change.

So what is up with all this "revival" talk?
I believe that we are beginning to see the first fruits of a Renewal/ Revival visitation from God.
I wish not to define such a coming move...
Or to place any of my own personal expectations upon what God is going to do...
But I do, spiritually, feel the first breezes of the Holy Spirit.
Not my timetable, but His....
Not my agenda, but His...
Not my church...but His...
Come, Lord, Come!

God on you...
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...