Sunday, January 4, 2015

The ONE



Matthew 18:12-14 (Message Bible)
"Look at it this way. If someone has a hundred sheep and one of them wanders off, doesn't he leave the ninety-nine and go after the one? And if he finds it, doesn't he make far more over it than over the ninety-nine who stays put? Your Father in heaven feels the same way. He doesn't want to lose even one of these simple believers.

The one....
The one life...
The one soul....
The one person...

In an age of mass production to churn out as many as possible, I fear that such has somewhat overtaken the church. There seems to be more concern with numbers than saving the one.
More concern over what the numbers reflect and says about the church than the well being of the ones who are saved. Now before we go any farther, let me say that I have fallen prey to this "number" game myself. Counting the salvation's like a stringer of fish we hold them up like those people you see in Florida who are on the docks displaying the days catch. God forgive me. These are people we are called to love and help. If anyone gets the credit or the accolades for any decision made, it should be the God-head. After all, it is the Father who gives to the Son those to be saved. It is the Holy Spirit sent to stir and convict the hearts of the ones who are living in the darkness of sin, separated from the presence and the promise of Jesus. What part do I play in this divine dance? I am merely a conduit through which the Power of God can flow.
In other words, I should be the least important cog in this whole episode.

We have seen an unusual occurrence take place at Vineyard ReCovery over the past few weeks. God has brought to us "the one" who has come to attend the Saturday night service. I would say over the past 6 weeks, we have had visitors come for the first time. Whatever is taking place that night seems to have been defined and set in place by God to get their attention. It ranges from prayers for healing....to the breaking off of the spirit of fear. We have had salvation's take place and we have seen healing brought to the person in need. But each week has been about "THE ONE".  The worship....the teaching....the ministry...all seems to be crafted to speak to the visitor who has shown up for the meeting. I wish not to read anything into what's happening, but could it be that God wants to see if we will be responsible with the One before He sends the many? I don't know. We'll see.

What I have written about today does not preclude our call to be salt and light in the market place, the work place and in our community. It is simply an observation I have made concerning VRC.

Don't forget tonight at the Gadsden Vineyard Church
Catalyst Recovery /  5:30 p.m. - the meal     6:30 p.m - Large Group
Tomorrow night: Thriving Recovery  -  6:30 p.m.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...