Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Winds Of Change


Ecclesiastes 3:1
To everything there is a season. A time for every purpose under heaven.

We humans talk about change...
We speak of growing older and how time seems to have sped up..
Life has gotten faster.....

Society and culture has moved into areas that we thought we never see in our lifetime....
Change happens...
It's like a runaway freight train, barreling down the tracks..
Not a thing we can do about it..
No way we can stop it....
Change is part of life....


Well, change is part of the Kingdom of God...

The person you are today, as a follower of Jesus, is not the same person you were when you first came to Him.
Hopefully you've changed over the course of time.
Hopefully you've matured in Him....been stretched by Him in the circumstances and situations you have faced in the past.

As I've grown older, it has been a struggle to change and adapt to the culture around me. My tendency is to look to the past and dwell in the memories that seem to bring comfort to me. The danger and trouble with this, is that we can see what God is doing around us today. We become static and use the past to measure everything. Doing this causes us to sound the alarm "We've never done it that way before"...whenever we encounter new things. I don't want to be that person. The one that stands in the way of what God is doing.

My desire is to be thankful and grateful for all that God has allowed me to see and participate in while, at the same time, continue to be energetic and ready to see what He is going to do next. I want to allow God to set the standard and direction for where He is taking the church. I don't want to put down the tent pegs in Acts Chapter Two and proclaim that to be the high water mark for the church, but I know some who have done exactly that. I want to study Acts and see where God is taking us today. 


I fully realize that we hang on to the old ways because they bring comfort to us and allow us a place where we can hunker down against those winds of change. So don't  be afraid of change. Don't be afraid of the change God has for you, as you grow in Him. Don't be afraid to stand up, and turn your face into those winds of change. As Mark Heard wrote in a song...It takes a saturated soul, and a faith that will never let go....Lay hold of God's hand and tell Him, "Let me see what is just over the hill, Father!"

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...