Wednesday, March 18, 2015

That God Is Something Else


Acts 2:1-4
When the Feast of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Without warning there was a sound like a strong wind, gale force---no one could tell where it came from. It filled the whole building. Then, like a wildfire, the Holy Spirit spread through their ranks, and they started speaking in a  number of different languages as the Spirit prompted them.

Offensive, isn't it?
That the presence of God would show up and take control of this prayer meeting. That God would dare bring His agenda and plan into the middle of a gathering and then disrupt everything. After all, doesn't the Bible say that everything should be done decently and in order. No room for Spiritual pandemonium in church.


Truth be known, when God shows up, it's gets messy.
Oh there is an order to what happens, but it is His order.
I think maybe when God really shows up in a meeting, we have what I like to call "A Genesis Moment"....God's presence uncovers the chaos in our hearts. And as we all know, God is a God of order and to have order, you first must have chaos.

It's like a spiritual "spring cleaning"...
When God comes in, he empties out all the drawers, cleans out all the closets, throws open the blinds and the windows to let the clean fresh air in.
Isn't that what we all truly need?
A good spring cleaning by God?
I know that I do.


Sometimes I think we go to church in the name of God, but we don't really want Him to get down into our meeting because that would just upset everything. We might be late to Cracker Barrel and we wouldn't want those other church members to get there before us and get all the good tables, now would we.

I want the Presence of God in our meetings.
I will prepare a message to share every Saturday for Vineyard ReCovery.
I will help with the music to see that we pick the right songs for worship.
I will go and help set the room, pray over it for God to come.
But in the end, I am willing to throw aside everything if God shows up.
I'm willing to look foolish...
I'm willing to be completely undone and then put back together by His Holy Spirit.

Why even pretend to do church if God isn't going to come into the meeting?
I want to BE the church.
I want to BE HIS CHURCH!


That when we leave the building on Saturday night, we take His Spirit, His presence, His purpose and plan with us into the coming week.
That we might be the people He longs to work with and through.
Each of us, on fire for Him....
Each of us, moving under the unction and guidance of His Holy Spirit, loving those we come in contact with.

Like I said....
I don't want to do church...
I want to be the church....


God on you...

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...