Thursday, March 26, 2015

Yadsruht-- Finally!


Deuteronomy 31:8
And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be discouraged.

Sometimes when we read verses like the one above, we have a tendency to catalog it among clever sayings and cute phrases. "Oh yes, I know that God is with me." Usually such statements come when everything in life is just peachy-keen. When you've got money in the bank........when you're in good health.....when the car is running smoothly. "Oh yes,  know that God is with me." We sometimes have a bent toward judging God's presence in our lives by how well life is treating us. I don't think that is why He put that verse in Deuteronomy.

The last part of the verse tells us to "not fear nor be discouraged". Why would He tell us that, unless part of life was moving into situations that would cause us to be fearful or maybe even lose heart? The reality is, sometimes in an effort to sell this whole Jesus/relationship, the church will hype up the benefit's of it. I don't know if they willingly do this in an attempt to manipulate people. I don't know if they truly believe that if you come to Jesus then everything is going to be carnival food, puppy dogs and unicorns with rainbows in their hair. I just know that maybe we need to stop and listen to what we present as the Gospel sometimes.  So what is the truth if I surrender will and life over to Jesus' care?

Truth is the verse from Deuteronomy tells me that God is going to go before me. That means my biggest part in getting through this day is to follow Him. No matter what comes my way...no matter what ugly thing may rear it's ugly head, I will not fear, I will not cut and run. God is with me, in fact He is ahead of me already. I think maybe I need to hone my skill of listening for Him. IN my thoughts, those faint things that float through my mind, in my case, are usually God talking to me. They become urges or unction to do a certain thing, or take a different direction in how I am dealing with my problems. I am just crazy enough to believe that God still speaks and since He does, I am going to expend myself on listening. Sometimes listening means to sit down and get quiet. In my own life, the larger the problem I face, the more I do need to get quiet, pray and ask God to show me what to do. Then I exercise my faith in Him that He knows what is best for me by moving in what I hear Him say. Now, lets get real honest. There is always a lot of doubt and fear when you're trying to move in what God has told you to do. That is natural and some religious folks don't like for me to say that. Trouble is, we are human and humans are emotional creatures. Our emotions are like runaway Duncan Yo-yo's that have come loose from the string. We are all over the place. But God, in His infinite wisdom, coupled with the fact that He knows us better than we know ourselves, tells us to not be afraid and do not become discouraged by what is out there. So no matter how much I fear or doubt, I am going to focus my faith to Him. Faith to believe that no matter what I may be facing, He is still in control, He is still out there in front of me, and that He will never, ever leave me or forsake me. 

Every situation we face may not have a happy-happy-joy-joy storybook ending. But I can guarantee that God will always be there no matter what happens. And that we will come out of it, or through it, with a better understanding of who He is, as well as who we are in Him. I've said this more time than I care to count....I'm just crazy enough to believe that God is who He claims He is.....and He will do what He has promised He would do.
Such times, when life rises up to slap us, is why we need to be connected to a community of people who are believer's in Christ. We can gain strength and encouragement from each other as we go through whatever trial or situation we may find ourselves facing.

Take the Deuteronomy verse that started this posting and jot it down on a post-it note. Put it on your fridge. Put one on the sun visor of your car. Keep one in your wallet or purse. Put one on the mirror in the bathroom. Keep this promise ever before you so that it becomes a part of your very being. And then go live it!

God on you..

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...