Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Took A Trip Yesterday


I Thessalonians 5:16
Rejoice always.....

Memories....they really are like photo's pinned to a long line. We can move up and down the line stopping to look at certain ones...
Memories are powerful and sometimes they can bring hope to dark times.
Yesterday was a memory kind of day.I pray that it did bring some comfort and hope, along with healing.


I was in my office at the church yesterday afternoon, when I heard someone say "Ding..ding...ding." Stepping into the room, I saw him....
"Is Pastor Jim in?"
"No", I replied, explaining that he had left to run some errands.
Asking if he needed anything, the man replied, "Not really, just thought I needed to get outdoors and stir around. You know, just take a walk."

Cancer...
This was his battle at this stage of life.
His clothes hung loosely, but I tell you what...the smile never faded from his face. In fact, as long as I've known him, he is always smiling. It kind of fills his face, softening the corners of eyes that have seen too much. 

I invited him to sit down and we began to talk.
He told me of how good this God had been to him.
According to his story, God had indeed looked with favor on his situation. 


We shared stories from his time at Rapha. How everyone referred to him as "Guido"...because he had an enormous talent for cooking Italian food. He was truly the kind of man you could not help but like. 


The years have been hard for him. Homeless at times....living with anyone who give him a place to sleep. Having his social security checks stolen, not knowing how he was going to survive. And the list goes on and on. But in all the time I've known Guido, I have never heard him complain, cry or whine about his life. Even now with the cancer eating away at him, he was upbeat and thankful for what he still had. There was a gratitude that poured from this man, and I thought to myself.."I want some of that.I want to be grateful no matter what the situation or circumstance may be."


I knew that he was a musician, so I asked him if he'd played in any bands. That question set us off down a trail that I believed was where God wanted to take us. Guido sat back in his chair and began a long journey of his musical past. A smile on his face, he shared stories of playing with the Willy Hightower Band...as well as with Bill Avery. Colleges and frat houses..amphitheaters...as well as concert halls...
He went over a list of his favorite singer/songwriters...
His favorite guitar and how he perfected his dance steps and moves to get the crowd cranked up. He stopped for a moment, looking at me and said, "I may not look like much now, but back in the day, I was a showman." I laughed along with him and said, "I have no doubt that you could bring a crowd to its feet."


We talked for over an hour...
He took me through his life...the victories and the defeats. The ups and downs that seem to define every life. But he declared that he was never going to give up or complain. 
We got up from the place we were sitting and started toward the door. He stuck out his hand and said, "Thanks for letting me talk." I pushed his hand away and wrapped my arms around him in a bear hug..."Guido, we've known each other for a lot of years..I love you, man. I love your heart. I love your grit. I love you. I know that you love Jesus, and believe me...He loves you."

He walked out into the afternoon.
Sometimes the greatest miracles are the small ones that we seem to miss.
A miracle wrapped in 60 minutes of conversation.
A trip taken through memories.

Prayers for healing, gratitude for another day.
Thank you, Father....


God on you...
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...