Thursday, June 11, 2015

Rapha Prayer Day



Prayer....
My part of a two way conversation.
Me, talking to God.
Me, listening as God talks back.
Prayer isn't me begging God to do something.
If I am saved (some call it being "born again") then I don't have to beg or plead with God to answer my prayer.

Prayer is God's way of pulling me into this "divine" work that He is doing all around me.
When I pray and ask God to move on my request....
And then see the results of my prayer take shape around me....
My faith is increased and my belief in God and what He is capable of doing  goes up a notch.

Wednesday's are one of my most favorite days to go out to Rapha.
For those who may not be familiar with Rapha, it is an adult male treatment center for drugs and alcohol addiction, located in Attalla, Alabama.

Wednesday's gives me an opportunity to just spend some time with the men going through the program. Engaging in conversation. Listening to the their stories. Encouraging when I can, to not give up and return to the old life of using.
It's kind of funny, now that I've been doing this for a number of weeks....

The men seek me out to share their prayer request.

Please join Vicki and me in prayer as we look to God to answer these request.

Prayer request #1
A son who needs direction and purpose in his life. More than anything, the son needs God. He needs a real spiritual relationship that will open his eyes to the choices he is currently making that have the potential to destroy him.

Prayer request #2
This individual has to go to court today. Pretty serious stuff that he is willing to face and pay the consequences for. His request was that God would go with him...strengthen him...and give him favor with the court. This individual has finished the "in house" or phase 1 of the treatment program and has done quiet well in applying what he has learned during his time at Rapha.

Prayer request #3
Two men asked for prayer about the same thing. Wisdom! They want the wisdom to apply what they have learned about recovery in their daily lives. They both are a bit fearful (which is natural) about going into the work place and maintaining their sobriety in spite to the temptations they will face.

Prayer request #4
The one who brought this request has specific hopes and dreams that will affect his future. He has some skills that are very marketable and could provide him with a decent wage in which to take care of his family. He asked that we pray that God would open a door where he could find a job in which he could use the skills that he has.

Prayer request #5
Prayer for a sister and mother, both undergoing tests and treatment in local hospitals.
The sister is currently going through radiation treatment for cancer. The mother having tests run to diagnose a condition that she is struggling with.

Prayer request #6
Prayer for children. This individual is highly aware that time is moving on and their children are growing up. There is a desire to be the parent that they should be, and that they receive wisdom to "do the right thing" when it comes to raising their children.

Prayer request #7
This individual's home church is currently looking for a pastor. He asked for guidance and clarity in finding the right person for the position. There was also a request for his wife who is having some health problems. Currently going to the doctor to determine what is causing the condition.

Prayer request #8
This person asked for prayer that God would keep him in treatment. He acknowledged that he has thoughts about leaving, but knows that such a move on his part would not end well. He truly is experiencing a battle between Spirit and Flesh.

I want to thank each one of you who takes the time to stop by and read the daily posting here at the Greene Street Letters. I want to thank you for joining your prayers with ours as we keep these men's request before our heavenly Father.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...