Monday, June 29, 2015

Truth In A Bowl Of Cereal.


I got to attend a recovery meeting last night where I didn't have to speak. It's good for me to be a part and receive rather than be up front being the one bringing the message.

During the worship time, the band had moved into a very intimate song, leading us deeper into God's presence. I felt as though I was to slip out of my chair, get on my knees and just worship. Like my wife always says, "There are times during worship when the song takes me into the presence of God. There, the room disappears and it's just God and me." It felt like one of those times.

I was praying asking for God's mercy to rest upon everyone in the room (including me) that we really needed a word from Him on this night. At the end of the prayer, I slid back up into my seat. The worship team continued with the song and the room seemed to be filled with peace. As I looked around the room, I suddenly got a mental picture. Of all things, I saw a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal. "What's up with this?" I asked. God began to speak to me in my spirit.

"This is what the heart of man craves."
Lucky Charms?
"Look closer"....
I noticed that the bowl had cereal flakes and milk, but the marshmallows were almost gone. Only one or two in the bowl. People are like children. They will pick through the very things I give them and only "eat" that which has no spiritual nourishment by itself. I was reminded of a verse from the Message Bible. II Timothy 4:3-5 - You're going to find that there will be times when people will have no stomach for solid teaching, but will fill up on spiritual junk food-----catchy opinions that tickle their fancy. They'll turn their backs on truth and chase mirages......

To me, spiritual junk food would be teaching an "easier, softer" way of recovery. Not telling the truth about the daily struggle people face. Painting some kind of pie-in-the-sky picture of a Jesus who is more like the man who puts you on the rides at Disney Land.  People need to be told of the struggle that comes with recovery but, at the same time, they also need to hear about the incredible benefits that come when you persevere, continue to follow Jesus, and not look back at the old life. Sure the spiritual marshmallows taste better than dry flakes. But it is the flakes and the milk that have the spiritual nutrition that promotes growth. The last thing I want is a room full of perpetual babies, feasting on spiritual marshmallows, and who refuse to grow up. Such will only want what their appetite demands, and not the food needed to move forward in their lives. 

Last night's meeting was the full bowl of cereal.
Greg Birdwell brought the word with passion and truth. It was the whole message and left no doubt in anyone's mind that Jesus is the only way to move forward in this life. I'm very appreciative of those who will not compromise God's word, or try and sugar coat the reality of moving from the old lifestyle into this new relationship with Christ.  

I appreciative of the "whole bowl of cereal" that God pours out in these meetings. But I need to realize that such meetings are not created for us to pick and choose what we will or will not do.
Thanks for stopping by this morning.
God on you...


mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...