Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Dealing With Life



She is always upbeat and bubbly....
Loves life and the second chance God gave her....
But today, she is leaning on God in a way that shows her strength and belief.
She has lost her son....
We've all heard it before....
"No parent should have to bury a child"...

I agree.
It should be the child that stands over their parents grave.
But sometimes life doesn't fit our cleaver sayings and cliche's.


Sometimes life slaps up hard in the face with situations and circumstances that suck hope right out of us. We find ourselves having thoughts and feelings that we've never had before. Doubt and anger, along with a does of bitterness, seem to rise up inside of us. To me, that is simply a part of being a human. It's not the presence of such emotions or feelings that is wrong....it is what we do with those emotions and feelings. Do we hang on to them, or do we let them go? Do we feed off these negative emotions or do we turn to God asking help in processing them? If I choose to keep these emotions, they will make me hard and cold spiritually and emotionally. I will turn away from others.I will put on a false front in order to protect myself from further hurt and harm.

Even in the death of a loved one, God is there to take us through this incredibly hard time. He is there to bring peace to our raw emotions. Call me crazy, but I believe this. I've seen it happen. It has happened in my own life. 
Grief is not something that the church really likes to talk about, yet it is such a part of our lives. God gave us the ability to grieve to help us channel our emotions so that they do not become a permanent part of us. No one should live in bitterness forever. No one should carry around anger forever.

We will always carry around the memories of our loved ones. But grief allows us to drain the hurt away from such memories. Oh, we will still feel sadness whenever a holiday rolls around, or we hear a song that was a favorite of the one we lost to death. But the grace of God will allow us to move forward in life. The sweetness of the memory will be with us, but the raw emotion of hurt will be healed. 

Please remember Karen Cox and her family as they mourn the loss of a son.

God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...