Monday, August 17, 2015

It Was A Good Weekend


Psalm 118:29
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His faithful love endures forever.

What a great weekend....
Saturday night Debbie Handy spoke at Vineyard ReCovery, sharing about how names are important. How we have a tendency to label our self based on what we have done. God, on the other hand, names us based on who we are in Him. Much healing in the room as we had a time of prayer and reflection on how we see ourselves as opposed to how God sees us.  


As part of our worship, I drug out an old song that was written when I played with the band "HIS BAND" back in the 80's (that's 1980...not 1880). "Them Walls" written by Bill Anderson, our lead singer and keyboardist) was a 12 bar blues arrangement about the different kind of walls we read about in the Bible. The incredible truth that there aren't any walls you and I can erect that can keep God out. There aren't any walls that the enemy can erect in our lives that keep stop God from tearing them down. It was fun to revisit that song. Hadn't played it in 30 years.

Sunday morning found me speaking at Gadsden Vineyard. Saw a lot of new faces and got the opportunity to pray and minister after the service. I told the group when it was time for me to speak that I was a "one trick pony". In other words, the only thing I am good at is speaking on recovery, so that was what they were going to get. 

I opened up by playing a worship song that was written by Suzie Wells for MorningStar Ministry. It is the most honest, transparent, in-your-face worship song I've ever heard. The opening lines are 
I killed my children...
You forgot that...
My fornication's..
You forgot that...
My prostitution...
You forgot that...
These aren't words put into this song to get your attention. They are all part of Suzie Wells' past life. Addiction....sexual immorality....abortion...yet she is able to share this part of her life because of the healing power of Jesus Christ.
She is able to be blatantly honest because she has been forgiven. Suzie Wells has been forgiven. Only Jesus can do such a miracle work in a life.

I went on to share the history of VRC. 
I wanted those present to understand who we are and what we do on Saturday nights. 
God was very gracious to touch the hearts of those present. Afterwards, several came up for prayer and to ask questions about love ones who are living in addiction.

As a bonus, I got to play on Debbie Handy's worship team. Always a treat, always a pleasure. She brought her "A" game yesterday and God showed up in a big way. Thanks for the invite Debbie!

Well, here we are...
Monday morning..
New day..new opportunities waiting out there for us.
A chance to be salt and light to a world that doesn't know our Jesus.
Let's do it....

One last thing..
Don't forget that this coming Wednesday night (August 19th) we will be kicking off our "DOING THE STUFF:101" class for Vineyard ReCovery.
Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m.
Hope to see you there!

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...