Monday, August 10, 2015

Wisdom In Understanding Who God Really Is


Proverbs 9:10
Fear of the LORD is the foundation of wisdom. Knowledge of he Holy One results in good judgment.

When it comes to God, having fear of Him isn't what we think it is. It isn't cowering under the bed when His presence shows up. It isn't running away like the Hebrews did after Moses took them to the mountain to meet with God. Having a fear of God is the reality of who we are dealing with. It is the understanding that reverence is to be part of my demeanor when I come to Him in prayer. It is a posture and attitude of "Your God, the real deal God that I've read about..and I'm not."

Did you notice that such a mind set.....
Such an attitude of the heart....fearing God....is the foundation of wisdom.

This can only be accomplished through the turning of will and life over to His care.
Addiction is such a nasty ruler of the human will and heart.
It grabs the will and bends it with lies.
"You're in control."
"You don't need anyone or anything."
"This God that everyone is talking about only wants to destroy you. You know you deserve to be destroyed."

And on and on and on the lies give birth to more lies, to the point that you are crushed beneath the guilt and shame of all the accumulated lies you have told.

I like the photo I used for today's posting....stormy sea...lightning...wind and waves. To me it resembles life. In reality we cannot do anything about a storm at sea. Especially if we are out on the ocean in a boat. We have no will power or understanding great enough to change the weather. Same with life when we're trying to navigate without Jesus in our life. Oh we may stand on the bridge of the ship barking orders, but such has no effect on the weather. Addiction tells us that we are the captains of our own ship. Addiction never tells us that we are not very equipped to navigate. 

When I move through Step #1, #2, and #3...I should be at the point of realizing that God is bigger than life. God is larger than any mess or damage I may have done. And that God is willing to change my heart.....change my mind.....and change my character. Such change as this is the basis for new life. A new way of doing business with the world by experiencing God's salvation in my own personal life.

Does this mean that everything is sunshine, lollipops and unicorns?
No!

Life still happens.
But I don't have to be swamped by the waves or sunk by the wind. I can navigate whatever comes my way. I like how the apostle Paul wrote in Philippians 4:11-13, about  the change that came to him when he was saved.
"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

I don't know about you but that is a pretty bodacious statement.
There is a small problem with what Paul has written.
Either it is totally true....
Or it is a fabrication of a religious mind.
Here is where we have to come to a decision for ourselves.
If Paul's statement is true, then this God He speaks of has the ability to guide me and satisfy me no matter what my lot or current situation may be.
If Paul's statement isn't true...then we can simply discard it and go about our business.
I happen to believe it is true, because I have been through similar situations. Maybe not as dire as Paul's was, but they were hard to me. What did I learn through these life experiences? That God is faithful no matter what my lot in life may be. God is faithful and so is His word and promises.

Food for thought.

God on you...

mb

Don't forget! "Doing the Stuff:101" begins Wednesday / August 19th at 6:30 p.m. / at the Vineyard. Looking forward to seeing you.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...