Wednesday, September 2, 2015

DTS:101 Session # 3 "Hearing God"



Jonah 1:1
Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah...............

Tonight marks the 3rd session of our teaching on "Doing The Stuff:101", or how to do the works of Christ.
I will admit that tonight is my most favorite subject and teaching that I've ever done. I used it a lot during my time at Rapha (A local drug and alcohol treatment center). I can't tell you the number of men who had the lights come on, so to speak, when they understood that they could hear God for themselves.

I was 37 years old before someone taught me. It was like hearing God was the forbidden subject to ask about. What I got was the standard, "Oh, you'll just know it's Him", along with a healthy does of "It's that still, small voice inside."  Both of which are true, but there is so much more to hearing God than these two examples. 

I guess the one barrier that everyone has when they start out to learn how to hear God is that they doubt themselves. "Was that God? Or was it my own inner voice?" SO begins the great struggle between self and God. Don't be surprised by this, we all have this fight when we are trying to discern God's voice. For me, it's very simple....I trust God. I know that He will never lead me into self-destruction. So if I receive something that I believe is from God....I will ask for His guidance, then I'll jump out there to see. I trust Him that His grace will be there even if I have missed what I've heard. 

Going back to the struggle of trying to discern God's voice, some of the best wisdom I've ever received was from a good friend of mine. He told me that if God is speaking, and there seems to be conflicting voices battling in your mind....follow the peace. Follow ever which voice contains peace to your spirit, because Satan cannot copy or counterfeit peace. Only God can bring that to the table.

I found this illustration this morning before I started this post, and I want to leave you with it. It's kind of a description of the difference between God and Satan when they speak. Hope to see you tonight. Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m.


God on you...
Michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...