Friday, September 4, 2015

Serenity Prayer Part 2


Matthew 14:27
But Jesus spoke to them at once. "Don't be afraid," He said. "Take courage. I am here!"

Last week at VRC we took a look at the first part of the serenity prayer that begins with "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."
We all agreed that the serenity mentioned in the prayer was an inward work of God's Holy Spirit. That the prayer never mentions bringing peace to our situation, and making all our problems go away. In fact we are actually giving us something that is not of this world. We are seeking God to provide to us a stability to our thoughts.....a stability to our hearts....and a stability to our spirit that enables us to face whatever is out there waiting on us. 


When I am in a stable place.....
A place of serenity....
I am more able to see things clearly. From this view, I can make better decisions as I trust God to see me through whatever it is I am facing.

I am able to accept my own powerlessness in this recovery process, realizing that there are things out there that I cannot change. I also come to the realization that there are things in me that I cannot change. Things that only a power greater than myself can change. I accept this fact and embrace this new life that I have been given. 

Tomorrow night, we will continue with our "Serenity Prayer" journey, taking a look at the second part of the prayer.
"Courage to change the things I can"

This part of the Serenity Prayer has been changed from the original. Personally I wished they had left it like it was written. In the original it states,"Courage to change the things that need to be changed." The way it's written today makes it sound almost like I get to pick and choose which ones I want to work on. "Well......I'm not sure...but I don't think I can change that one." Where as the original leaves no space for wiggling out....I must change those things in me and around me that need to be changed. To face that I don't want to face. To address those things that make me consider running back to the old lifestyle. But I'm not. Why? God gives me courage. It isn't something I work up in myself, trying to convince myself that I can. 

Once again, I am asking God, in this prayer, for something I cannot produce on my own. Courage. Real courage. Life changing courage. From here, I can not only face, but under God's direction, change those things I once thought I would never be able to. 

Well, there's a sneak peek at the message for tomorrow night.
Vineyard ReCovery starts at 7 p.m.
We're located downtown Gadsden, on Broad Street - between 4th and 5th streets.
Hope to see you there!

God on you....
Michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...