Thursday, September 10, 2015

Standing In Awe Of God



Habakkuk 3:1-2
This prayer was sung by the prophet Habakkuk....
"I have heard all about you, Lord. I am filled with awe by your amazing works.
In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by, and in your anger, remember your mercy."

Somehow we seem to have created a "God For Today".
One that is separated from His track record of intervening in our time and space.
One who has answered our prayers over and over and over.

We reason to ourselves, "Yeah..that is how God worked in my life in the past...but I'm just not sure He'll do it again." 

I love the prayer from Habakkuk. I love the view that Habakkuk takes when He is talking with God. Times were dark in Habakkuk's day. The nation was unraveling and I guess you could say that everything was going to hell in a hand basket. But Habakkuk called on God asking for God's mercy to rise above God's judgment. He told God...."I remember Your fame. I remember the stories I've heard from others where you came down and saved the people of Israel." If you stop to think about it, God's deeds were pretty amazing.
There was the whole Red Sea escape route from the Egyptians.
Then God made water come from a rock to satisfy the thirst of the people. (Never mind that estimates have been made that there were as many as 2 million...that's a lot of water). 
God dropped Manna from heaven for the people to eat. Imagine going to bed, only to rise up the next morning and the ground be covered with this divine food that could only come from the hand of God. They truly did receive "their daily bread". 
And the list goes on and on of the deeds that God had performed for Habakkuk's people.

Habakkuk wrote that He was in awe of God and the deeds that came from God's hand.
When was the last time you were in awe of God?
Have we reduced God to being merely a religious concept that we try to wrap our brains around?
Have we lost touch with the real-deal God of the Bible.

Did you ever stop to think or consider that the God we read about in Scripture....
The same God who SPOKE creation into existence, is the same One who wants to have a one to one relationship with you.
It's funny, but I have asked others, "Do you believe that God created everything like we read about in Genesis 1?" The answer is a resounding "YES!" Then I ask them, "Why do you find it so hard to believe that the same God who possessed the power, through His words, to bring in to existence everything we see, touch, taste, smell and hear....cannot speak into your very life and give you direction and the ability to live life in a new way?


God has not saved us, and then left us.
God is not directed or swayed by the events that are taking place in this world.
He has not been caught off guard by Isis..
He was not blindsided by any of the financial mess the world seems to be in.

He was not caught napping as tensions have been escalating in the Middle East.
God Is God.
I am His child.
He will direct me through anything that comes my way.

Should something happen to me and I die....
I will meet Him face to face.

Should I live long enough to be caught up when Jesus returns.....
I will meet Him face to face.
Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

I will expend myself living for Him...chasing Him...worshiping Him...
Why?
Because He is worth it.


God on you...
Michael b.


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...