Saturday, September 19, 2015

That's My Family



Revelation 5:11-12
Then I looked again, and I heard the voices of thousands and millions of angels around the throne and of the living beings and the elders. And they sang in a mighty chorus: "Worthy is the Lamb who was slaughtered--- to receive power and riches and wisdom and strength, and honor and glory and blessings".
And then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and in the sea. They sang: "Blessing and honor and glory and power belong to the one sitting on the thrones and to the Lamb forever and ever."


I don't know about you, but those verses from Revelation paint a picture of a pretty bodacious worship service.
Can't imagine how it will sound for all of creation and those things which are no longer a part of creation come together and, in one voice, begin to praise Jesus.

I may be a little off center here, but some how I really believe every time we gather together for worship.....whether it is 1000 or 10.....we are practicing what is going to take place at a future time. We are learning how to hear God as we sing...we are learning to experience His presence when we join our voices together and give them To Him as an offering. Truth be known, when I am part of a worship team, or part of the congregation, I loose myself in the songs. It becomes all about Jesus. It isn't about what He has done for me...it isn't about what He might be going to do for me...it is totally about Him.

Tonight I will have the privilege of coming together with Vineyard family and friends to worship. It will be a family reunion of sorts. The band will be comprised of family from all over the U.S. . From California, Montana, Kentucky....they will bring their instruments and hearts to make music for Jesus.

We will prepare a meal for them. Always a pleasure to put on a spread. Hospitality seems to be a strong part of our group. I guess you could say that we will gather tonight and break bread together. In our case, we will break Bar-b-que. We will break Chicken and Dumplings. And we will break all the side dishes and desserts. There will be ice tea and coffee by the gallons. There will be laughter, hugs and hand shakes, and stories shared about the things that have transpired since last we were together. That is my family.


We will move into the big room...the stage will be filled with instruments and the air will be full of voices talking and laughing. But once the band takes the stage, it will all be about Jesus. That's my family. You see, part of our values in the Vineyard is that worship is highest calling. TO worship the One the who has given us life. TO worship the one who has paid the price so that we can no longer be under the debt of sin. To worship the one who has filled us with the Holy Spirit. Our worship is not contingent on our current situation. In other words, we don't worship God simply because things are going good in our life. We worship Him no matter what our current state may be. I'm not going to lie to you...and this may sound a bit strange....but my worship tends to be more real when I am in a hard place. There seems to be an intensity to worship when I'm hurting or there are situations and circumstances looming out there in the future that are beyond my control. I lean into Jesus during these times. Not so I can manipulate Him (Like I ever could) to do what I want Him to do...no! But to recognize him as the only source of life there is.

So tonight we will gather together to have a sort of "Pre-heaven" worship event. It isn't a concert. It is a time where we can come together corporately and pour our love back to God. I am jazzed. 15 hours until we get it on.
Maranatha, Lord Jesus...


God on you...
michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...