Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Coming This Saturday To VRC: The Cabin Fever Recordings



Zephaniah 3:17
For the Lord your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with JOYFUL SONGS."

I love this verse...
Some versions of scripture say that God will "SING OVER YOU."
Is that awesome or what? But it left out something....
What kind of music does God like?
He is the creator of all good things, so I suppose His music would not be bound or limited by a type or style.


Generations have a way of finding a music that speaks to them and they have a way of holding on to it.As one generation gives way to another, the old voice finds it hard to move over and allow a new voice to rise up and speak to the current generation.

I was taking a trip this past Sunday and I had my radio on. A.M...not F.M. A preacher was giving his pitch about his church and how it was the best church in town, when he made a comment I have not heard in years. He addressed those who were listening as being "out there in radio land". He must have been in his late 70's, and his heart burned for Jesus. He was passionate in his word but his delivery and choice of songs that he played on his radio program defined his generation perfectly. I don't doubt that there was a group of people who tuned in to listen to this man every Sunday morning. His style and delivery was very much for an older crowd. 


Getting back to music,I fully realize that I too have become generation-ally defined by my music. I try to listen to current bands but it is hard. Oh, there are some really good musicians out there and I acknowledge that, but it's like trying to find a new sweater to wear, you can't, so you go back to the old one that is comfortable and warm.

Over the past 3 years, I have had the pleasure of finding some new/old music. A friend of mine gave me a copy of John Barnett's "Never Look Back". With the first cut, I was hooked. The music was simple...the lyrics went straight to my heart. This CD was followed up by others he had recorded in the past. Marie, John's wife, also had CD's that purchased. Song after song dealt with our relationship with God. I don't know that I would classify it as praise and worship. Some of the songs truly are in that vein, but John and Marie take it to another level.

John likes to refer to his style of music as "Americana". Something that is new, but has roots to a time past that still has value and purpose.John refers to the Americana Congregation in this way:"The idea for the Americana Congregation came about as a group of friends were discussing the idea for a collective place to share and experience our unique musical styles, influence, thoughts, ideas and collective mischief.A place for those outside the norm of the "industrial church music machine" where style, lyrics and content can be explored and enjoyed as we journey of the paved road to follow the path of most resistance."


It is my pleasure to announce that this Saturday night, at Vineyard ReCovery church, the Cabin Fever Band will be bringing this music to our town.
Meetings starts at 7 p.m. /  Everyone is welcome.
Don't come unless your willing to tap your toe and maybe even move around. In fact, movement is encouraged in our church. As Crispin Schroeder so aptly put it..."Feel free to get up and move around the cabin."
Here is a sample of the music John and the Band will be bringing.
Enjoy.



God on you...
michael b.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...