Tuesday, December 8, 2015

It's About A Child.....It's About A Son


Isaiah 9:6
For a child is born to us, a son is given to us, The government will rest upon his shoulders, and he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

II Timothy 3:5
They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. 

People say it all the time...."Christmas is about the birth of Jesus."
But do we grasp the truth that such a baby born changed everything.
He brought upheaval and division to a religious system that was being changed by God himself.

No longer would animals have to be brought to the Temple to be sacrificed for the atonement of sin. This baby.....this newborn would grow into a man who would become the once-and-for-all sacrifice for the sin of the world.

When I look at our Christmas tree, I see another tree on a hill outside of Jerusalem. I see a tree that was shaped and hewn for one purpose...death. I see the cross.
When I look at our Christmas tree, I see the lights. Some that twinkle....some that bubble...some that never change, but simply give off the color for all to see. But when I look at our Christmas tree, I see the light of the world, Jesus. The multicolored lights are evidence of the sum of humanity that He came to die for. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight.


When I go to purchases a present for family, I am reminded that my salvation came with a price. A Son willingly died in my place. A Father sent His Son on my behalf to pay a debt I never could. So when I buy a present and then give it....I am reminded that of the cost that came with my salvation.


During the Christmas season, my thoughts are on family and friends. Times that we will share together over coffee and pie. The meal my wife will prepare for Christmas Day. The memories that will be shared about Christmas' past. It will all fall under the category of "Good". I am reminded of how good God has been to me and my family. There will be a time where we will truly give thanks for the bounty and promises that God has provided.

The Isaiah 9:6 passage is a prophetic one that was revealed in the birth of Jesus to Mary and Joseph.
"A child is born"...refers to Mary being the birth mother of Jesus. A woman that probably should get more credit than most give her. She gave her physical body to God to be used to bring a baby like the world has never seen into our time and space. The words that she spoke when the angel Gabriel came to announce God's plans still amaze me. "Let it be done to me according to Your word."  Truth be known, that should be the cry of everyone who follows Jesus. "IT isn't about me....It's about You, O Lord."


"A Son is given"...refers to Joseph. Jesus was not his child, yet Joseph took it upon himself to raise this Son that Mary gave to Him. Here again, I think Joseph deserves a little more credit that we give him. This unusual birth destroyed every plan Joseph had for his and Mary's future life together. But being a devout man of God, Joseph laid aside his plans to receive God's.

I have no doubt that Joseph didn't love his step-son. I have no doubt that Joseph was a hands on father. To me Joseph's life speaks of how I should respond when God's plans are different form my own. His plans take precedent over mine.

So during this Christmas Season, do more than mouth the words about it being all about the birth of Christ. Revisit the Christmas story. Let it become a reality in your heart as you place yourself in the story. Ask yourself how you would have responded if you'd been Mary or Joseph.
And never forget that Jesus is the reason we celebrate.

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla.....
Vicki and Michael


God on you...

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...