Friday, December 4, 2015

The Time For Lights


Driving home last night was putting the punctuation on a good day. I was tired, but it was the good kind of tired. The kind that quietly tells you that you had heard God, and had followed His simple instructions. Turning onto Case avenue, I could see houses up and down the street all lit up with their Christmas decorations. I'm a sucker for Christmas lights. I love them. Maybe it's because we only put them out once a year. We don't see them everyday...day in and day out. But as I drove down Case Avenue toward Greene Street, I was reminded of a verse from John chapter one.
"The light shines in the darkness, and the
darkness can never extinguish it."

Jesus....
The ultimate light...
The "Let there be light" of Genesis one...
Shines into our world...
Shines into our hearts.....
Shines into our lives....
Daily.
Never ceasing...
Always there..
The incredible news that He is the bridge, so to speak, between a fallen humanity and a divine God who wishes to have relationship with His creation.
And the kicker is that darkness...
Spiritual ignorance....
Pride and a rebellious nature...
Can never put out this light.

We can pass laws and stack them until they reach the sky, but we cannot regulate the message of the gospel.
We can build out pseudo-tower's of Bable and proclaim of what "WE" had done...
But we cannot extinguish the message of the gospel.
Darkness has no power over light....
It only takes a small amount of light to dispel darkness.
Maybe that is why I love Christmas so much. The lights on every corner, shining into the darkness.....

Red lights that remind us of the blood that was shed by that baby boy that was born long ago in Bethlehem.

Blue lights signifying an open sky or heaven. One that speaks of having communication with God. He speaks, I listen....I speak...He listens. We call that prayer.

Green lights that speak of new life. A lush and abundant life when we surrender will and life over to His care. God gives to us a fresh beginning.
          "Therefore, if anyone (man or woman) is in Christ...
They are a new creation.
The old life is gone...
The new one has begun!"

Yellow lights to remind us of gold. To remind us of the cost that God paid for our salvation...the giving of His Son, Jesus, to pay our sin/debt.

The message is in the lights....
The message is the LIGHT of lights....Jesus.
No matter how dark it may appear to me in our world..
No matter how dark it may appear to me in our society or government...
Jesus is there overpowering the darkness with His message of hope.
I'll receive that!

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla!
God on you....

Vicki and Michael Bynum

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...