Thursday, January 7, 2016

Don't Just Find The Door...Go Through The Door


James 1:23-24 (The Message Bible)
Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like.

Seeing yourself as you truly are....
Not "seeing" the outside, but the inside.
An evaluation of what you really believer and act on.
Bible says that "as a man thinks in his heart, so is he."

The real you is bound up and motivated by core beliefs...or some would call it a "World view".
Such belief's tell us how we should act or respond to every situation we face. It kind of works like this....

Situations....pass through our core beliefs....this creates thoughts on how we respond....this creates emotions....and emotions direct our actions.
If my core beliefs are outside God's directions, in other words if I am making my decisions based on my sin nature, then my thoughts are going to be wrong. This in turn brings up harmful emotions and these will lead me to destructive behavior. 

We are going to be taking a look at the entry point into recovery this Saturday night at Vineyard ReCovery. Every journey has a starting point, and the best intentions are of no value unless acted upon. Step #1 is the entry point that we all must pass through. Under the vision and conviction of God's Holy Spirit, we see ourselves as we truly are.
We see ourselves as being powerless.

We see ourselves living a life that is beyond our ability to manage.
Doesn't mean we don't try to manage. If we awarded those who try to manage their own life, those awards would be stacked to the ceiling. The best hoped for is to manage it into the ground. The one constant among everyone struggling with addiction is "I don't need your help...there's nothing wrong with me....just let me live my life...get off my back."
Such declarations of independence lead only to one of three places if allowed to run its course.
1.) Jail...
2.) Institutions...

3.) Death.
You can bank on that.
Doesn't have to be that way, but to break free starts with seeing the need that is denied over and over. I need help.
Why do you need help?
Because I cannot break free from my using and/or drinking.

Here at this place real life can begin.





God on you...
mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...