Friday, January 22, 2016

Guido


Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is---His good and perfect will.

He was a musician....
Loved to play the keyboards and sing.
He'd traveled, in his younger years, with various bands and groups around the country from California to  New York.

To my surprise, his favorite group was Journey. He loved him some Steve Perry, and "When The Lights Go Down In The City" was one of his most favorite songs.

His name was Wayne, but to me he will always be Guido.
First met him at Rapha, more years ago than I care to count. He was the cook, and he did have a way with vittles. That's where the name "Gudio" first came into his life. When he walked, he reminded everyone of Father Guido Sarducci from Saturday Night Live. Wayne took pride in the fact that everyone liked him enough to give him a nickname. So Guido it was.

Moving through life with an easy gate, and an infectious smile, you could not help but love this guy. He did manage to beat his addiction, and to me, he was one who no longer conformed to the pattern of this world. He was transformed by the renewing of his mind and heart.

Wayne would come by the church at least 2 or 3 times a week.
He'd come in and I would stop what I was doing because we were going to have a conversation of monumental proportions. He'd ease his frame down in one of the rocking chairs, and the stories would flow. Each one usually started the same way...."I remember one night....." And then he would share with me these incredible tales of people he'd met, and other musicians he'd played with. As he moved through the details, he would go into this rapid-fire, machine gun staccato delivery as the words came in quick, short bursts.


The one thing that characterized Guido was that I never heard him complain.
He never griped about his life or situation....
He never moaned or whined about his cancer, even though I knew he was in pain.
If ever there was a gentle soul that walked this earth, it was Guido.


Last Thanksgiving, my son, Josh, and I took Wayne a meal. It was all the usual fare that you would expect to find on a Thanksgiving table. We sat and talked while he ate. As always, he was very grateful that someone would remember him. I think maybe were, and are, more folks remembering him that he could ever imagine. 

Funny, but the thought just crossed my mind that the band is getting together.
We've already got a sax player in Jimmy McNabb, who passed last year.
Now we've got our keyboardist. I think maybe God is putting together a worship team that has been forged in the fires of His redemption. The world could not steal them away, because they'd already lived through the hell of addiction.  They had fought the good fight, and they had overcome by the Blood of the Lamb, and the word of their testimony.


Rest in peace, Guido.....

I will miss you.

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...