Saturday, February 13, 2016

Living In The Eye Of The Storm



"Out in the eye of the storm, the friends of God suffer no permanent harm.."     Mark Heard.

Seems to be a belief among people that God is a kind of "good fairy" that will not let harm come to HIS people. While I do believe that God is a protecting God, and one who cares and loves deeply for those who live for Him, I believe that for us who walk this planet, life happens.

Cancer comes knocking and claims lives....
Divorce rears a division between a married couple....
Addiction takes people away before it's their time....
But when you proclaim your allegiance to the One True Living God..You can lose your head. You can have your business closed and be run out of town. You can be hauled into court and even jailed. 

IF you want Scripture to see that pain and suffering is a part of life especially when you are a follower of Jesus, all you have to do is turn to Hebrews 11:35-38 - "But others were tortured, refusing to turn from God in order to be set free. They placed hope in a better life after the resurrection. Some were jeered at, and their backs were cut open with whips. Others were chained in prisons. Some died by stoning, some were sawed in half, and others were killed with the sword. Some went about wearing skins of sheep and goats, destitute and oppressed and mistreated. They were too good for this world wandering over deserts and mountains, hiding in caves and holes in the ground."

I realize that what was written in the Hebrews passage is kind of extreme,but when you claim to be a follower of Jesus Christ, the ante goes up. We become enemies of this world. But such does not give us liberty to cover our heads and disappear from society. The one part of the Mark Heard song, "Eye of the Storm", that I dearly love is where he sings..."The friends of God suffer no permanent harm." Emphasis on the word "Permanent".  There is nothing in this world that can separate me from the love of God. Everything that can happen to me, no matter how bad, is only temporary. I will die eventually. I will find out the truth of what I have staked my very life on. I will stand before the one who died for me, and I will worship Him like it's nobodies business. The things and events of this world will fade away in His presence, and I will live in the Glory of God for ever. Why, I can't even wrap my brain around that one. But I know that I know, way down deep inside me that it is a truth born from the heart of God who sent His Son to die in my place. A Son who paid a price for my sin that I could never repay.

I don't want this mornings posting to depressing or gloomy. The truth is, I want us all to dig our heels in a little deeper and say, "We're not turning back, no matter what happens." So here is what I rest in this morning. That no matter how dark and spiritually oppressive our society becomes...God is in control. No matter what I may face as a believer and follower of Jesus..God has me in the palm of His hand. No matter what happens to me, it is but a momentary light affliction that will pass away. 

So today, I will focus on Jesus, not on this world.
I will listen for His voice, and not the world's message.
I will seek His face, and not the world's agenda.

I will rejoice in my salvation, and not the destruction that is ongoing in this world.
I will tell my story..a story of hope, and not be a spreader of fear and depression.
Today, I will follow in His Steps, and not walk the broad way to destruction that the world is following.

He is a good God!

God on you...
mbb 

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...