Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Praying Through



( Disclaimer: I know I put an "i" in tittle of this mornings posting...and even after I changed it, it did not appear corrected on the Facebook pages. So, think of it as an offering from an "Appalachian-American...otherwise known as hillbilly)



Psalm 5:2-3
Give heed to the voice of my cry, my King and my God, for to you I will pray. My voice You shall hear in the morning, O Lord. In the morning I will direct it to You, and I will look up (I will wait).

James Span and I stayed up late last night, as the storms rumbled through our area. Kind of a Bynum tradition to take such a posture when the weather turns. I don't do it out of fear or dread, but rather a sense of just being safe. I know some who could sleep through an extinction level event. Wish I were like those, but alas (Can you believe I said "Alas"?) it is something that has followed me for a number of years. I think it started back in 1974 when we lived in Blountsville. Chad had just been born, and Vicki and I lived in a farm house that was so far out in the boonies that we couldn't get a telephone line. Weather turned bad, so we sat up all night as tornadoes went over our abode. Yep, you heard me right.....multiple tornadoes.Ever since then, I just kind of stand guard and pray....well, actually before the storms ever arrive, I pray. Not out of fear, but out of a sense and understanding that my God is still God over the elements. I figure if Jesus could yell at a storm and it would dissipate......He's still highly capable of doing the same here in our time and space.

Monday's Bible study at Rapha was really good. 
Only had two show up, but I think it was a God-thing.
Took a look at II Corinthians 4:7-18. To me this particular portion of scripture is all about "REAL LIFE"....
In other words...life happens, even to those who have a relationship with Jesus.
According to Paul's own words (and we all know Paul doesn't lie), he says that if you are drawing breath, you are going to be 
Hard pressed.......perplexed.....persecuted......struck down. 
Such would be real draw for people to get saved wouldn't it? Come on down and get whacked by life to the point that you feel like a cosmic punching bag. But truth is, God intervenes into every one of these "life situations". Paul goes on to write the counter to life...
"But we are not crushed."
"We are not in despair."
"We are not forsaken."
And "We are not destroyed".


Like I said, the Bible study was really good. Many questions and comments flowed around the table as we looked at each verse. 
So here are the prayer request for this week.

1.) Prayer for strength and resolve to go back to old ways or former friends. The desire to move forward is there...to have a life, but, at the same time, fear of the unknown is also in the mix. Pray  that these men would see the wisdom of taking this new journey one day at a time.

2.) Pray for the entire camp at Rapha. There was concern that some are simply going through the motions until they can get released. The relapse of former clients has hit home the reality of the need to move beyond the addiction.

3.) Had one request for prayer that they would receive mental strength to simply face the day. The pull of depression has been strong, yet they do not want to give into it.

As always, pray God's Spirit down over the camp for the residents and staff.
Well, I guess that about wraps it up....

Until tomorrow...
God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...