Monday, March 14, 2016

A Real Deal Celebration


Psalm 133:1
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Great weekend....
One of those you just knew was going to be a keeper.

Focus of Saturday night was to be a celebration of Barry Hooks ten year sobriety chip.
We had a meal planned...
Got a huge honkin' cake that was chocolate on chocolate since Barry is a chocolate aficionado.


But as last week progressed and we headed to Saturday, other things begin to happen that only added to the celebration.
Got a call text message from Seth Barber that Jeffrey Cothran was in town and wanted to get together. Jeffrey was the first client ever to go through Rapha. He has been a friend and brother for years. I had not seen Jeffrey in a while so the idea that he might show up at VRC was great.

Then Charlie Copeland called to let me know that he was bringing someone who had just started this recovery journey with Jesus as the guide. A young boy who had 60 days clean time was coming with Charlie. Awesome!


Saturday night was everything I thought it might be. Worship was solid and was topped off by Debbie Handy singing "You Are So Beautiful To Me". It was great having Carrie Elrod to sing the 3rd part of harmony. She has been a real blessing to come and be on the worship team. I digress. Debbie has a way of taking you into the presence of God when she sings, a talent and heart that not everyone has. I'm always grateful for her being on our worship team.  Then we have Barry Hooks who adds so much to the songs we play. Using his guitar, he moves in and out of the melodies, adding small touches here and there to influence the music. And last, but certainly not least, Wayne Wimpee , our resident percussionist and Harmonica player extraordinaire.  

At the end of the meeting we shared a meal. I love moving from table to table getting to talk with everyone. Hearing their stories....prayer requests...and just about life in general.

At one point I looked up and saw Jeffrey Cothran, Vance Ritchey, and Jason Knight all standing together, talking. There was laughter and a look of peace on these three. These were some of the first guys who went through the program, and here they were at our meeting. I don't know what that means spiritually, or if it even means anything at all. I just know that there was something about the three of them being here on the night we celebrated Ten-Years for Barry Hooks. 


The meal went for a while, as plate after plate was filled and then refilled.
Would you believe filled one more time.
I don't think anyone went home hungry Saturday night.
As clean up started, and people moved out the door to head home, I had a very deep sense of satisfaction that God was pleased with what had happened.

Community was strengthened...
We had worshiped Him....
The Word had been taught...

A meal had been shared.....
Prayer had been offered to those who needed it....
I guess you could say that we had church....
I guess you could say that we were (and are) the church.

Like I said...
It was a good weekend.
I think I'll do it again next weekend.


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...