Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Miles Johnson, I Want To Be like You.


Matthew 25:34
Then the King will say to those on His right hand, "Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."

Every time I spoke at New Outlook Christian Fellowship, I would see him.
Eyes all crinkled by 93 years he had lived.
Big smile on his face. Always thankful for another day of life.
Mr. Miles Johnson went home to receive his reward yesterday morning.

If the words of Matthew 25 are true (and I believe they are) then Miles heard them as he entered the presence of God.

He was always quick to shake my hand after the service, and offer up a "Boy that was a humdinger of a message, Bro. Mike". He loved the Word, and he definitely loved Jesus.
The men from Rapha always attends church at New Outlook every Sunday, and Miles was a kind of unofficial spokesman for the church. He loved talking to "the boy's" as he called them.
Miles Johnson had the gift of encouragement and hospitality. He made you feel at home whenever you came in contact with him.

A veteran of World War II, Miles fought in the European Theater and was a part of the Battle of the Bulge. He spoke often of what he saw and experienced in the war, but he wasn't one of those who glorified combat or seeing others be killed. It more of a matter of fact that this was what he went through during that war. The one thing I will always remember about Miles is that he always had a story to share if you sat down to talk with him. It wasn't a pointless story either, as it was always relevant to our day and time. 

I think if anything, Miles Johnson taught me that life was to be lived. Now I know that may sound kind of goofy, but it's the truth. He believed that life was to be experienced and enjoyed as much as possible. God put us here for a reason, and with a mission. In Miles eyes, life was too short to be wasted on complaining and whining about our situations and circumstances.  If God saw fit to  let us draw breath, then we should be about the business of following Jesus. Life is purpose, and purpose is found in Jesus. We don't need to waste time by following our own selfish desires and wants. 

So this morning, the world seems a bit empty without Miles Johnson.
But heaven is fuller.
Miles now knows the truth of what you and I only claim to believe.
He is worshiping his Lord and King.
Thank you, Miles Johnson for being an example of what it means to be a follower of Jesus.

I will miss you for now.

God on you....

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...