Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Fishing My Way....Or Fishing Jesus' Way


Luke 5:4
When He (Jesus) had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, "Launch out into the DEEP and let down your nets for a catch.

I think maybe this is a word for me this morning.
"Launch out into the deep".....
Go to the place you've been afraid to go to...
That place inside your heart that you've tried to hide from God for a long time.
Maybe it's a place of bitterness....
It might be anger, or jealousy....

Who knows...it might be unforgiveness.
But it is the deep place where the Lord wants me to drop my nets and then pull up the catch.

This entire episode we read about in Luke 5 is one of my favorite portion of Scripture.
I love Simon, soon to be Peter, and his response to what Jesus has told him to do.
But Simon answered and said to Him, "Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at YOUR WORD I will let down the net."

Did you catch that?
Simon said that him and his crew had been fishing all night.....

And they had bumpkus to show for it.
Not even a minnow.
That would represent me trying to do everything in my own strength, power and ability.

I have nothing to show for  my toil and effort.
But Jesus comes along and gives specific instructions.

"I know you've been out all night".....Translated into my situation..."I know you've been working in dark places in your life......But tell me, how's that working out?"
Well, to put it bluntly...it ain't working out.

Jesus gives the instructions, it is my job to follow them.
Could it be anymore simple than that?
"But Lord, you don't understand...I've been trying to stop my addiction"

"I've been trying to forgive that person who hurt me really bad."
"I've been trying"....."I've been trying"....."I've been trying".
Well, with Jesus there isn't any "try"....
There is simply "Do"...

Launch out once more into the deep water...don't hang around the shallows...
And let down your nets.

Why?
Because there is a catch waiting to be hauled in.


Maybe that is the word for today...
Launch out into the deep one more time.
Launch out and let down your nets...
Jesus knows that if we follow Him, at some point we are going to truly have a divine fish fry.

Now this is something you can hang your  hat on....
Believe I will!

God on you...
mbb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...