Friday, June 3, 2016

It's All About The Word



Psalm 119:61
Evil people try to drag me into sin, but I am firmly anchored to your instruction.

Are you? Are you anchored?  Fastened? Clinging to? Relying on the Word of God to give you the instruction and direction you need to move forward in your recovery?
The Bible gets such a bad rap these days (Sometimes even from people who claim to be followers of Christ.

"Well, you know....life is busy and I don't have time to sit down and read it."
Really?
From my own personal experience, I have found that I should never say that I don't have time to do something. What I should say, instead, is that I don't value it enough to take time. We pretty much will make time for the things that are important to us. The things that we find real value in, we will make sure to take time to do them.


My spiritual mentor, John Wimber, used to teach that the Bible was a practical book for living a practical life. His take was that if this were not true, then why read it. Why spend so much time studying it and looking at how Jesus approached life. I tend to fall into the category of believing the practicality of studying the scriptures. 

Psalm 119 is filled with reasons that we should spend time in the word.
V 105 - Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.
In other words, God's instructions point us in the right direction we are to walk in our daily lives. Not only that, but it illuminates the way in our choices so that we can truly see that we are moving in the right direction.

V 133 - Guide my steps by your word, so I will not be overcome by evil.
Bottom line is that our actions (our steps) are guided and driven by the inner choices we make. The word brings clarity and peace to the choices we need to make..not  the ones we want to make. When we refuse or reject the teaching and direction of God's word, we open ourselves up to the influence of our old sin/nature which will always lead us to evil. Once given over to such a mind/heart set, we will be overcome and swamped by evil which will influence us to reject God and follow our own dark desires.

V 130 - The teaching of your word gives light, so even the simple can understand.
This is my verse!!! I am one of the simple who has gained understanding from studying the scriptures. Now, this understanding that we are given isn't the collection of biblical facts and info. It is the sum wisdom collected as we study that becomes fuel for the Holy Spirit to bring to remembrance when we have a need for it. A verse that will suddenly pop into your mind when you are facing a situation or circumstance that you need help with. A verse that will suddenly come to you when you need encouragement to help you make it through your day. 

V 11 - I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
To have hidden the word means that it is placed in the inner parts of our very being. It's value is more than clever phrasing and catchy words.....The word becomes life itself. A form of communication between an Eternal God and His creation. The very thought that such a being would want to communicate with me, let alone guide me daily in my own personal life, is a bit baffling. At the same time, it lets me know that God's heart for me is to simply follow Him. I'll take that any day of the week.

Hope to see you tomorrow night at Vineyard ReCovery.
We'll be taking a look at the second encounter Jesus had in Luke chapter 5.
Meeting starts at 7 p.m.

Hope to see you there....

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...