Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Who Are You Gonna Call? Who You Gonna Turn To?



Psalm 61:1-4
O God, listen to my cry!  Hear my prayer!
From the ends of the earth, I cry to You for help when my heart is overwhelmed.
Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for You are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. Let me live forever in Your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of Your wings!

Very simple (how many times have you heard this before?)....
Yes, it is very simple. In this life you and I are currently living, who do we trust to see us through?
Who is it we turn to in the mornings when we wake up?
I know that the vogue or answer that most would give would be...."Why I trust in God!" And to some degree that may be so. But do we really? Or are we just giving lip service by saying what we think others want to hear. Or maybe even saying what we want to believe is true, but deep inside we know it isn't.

I love Psalm 61 because it is all about the rubber hitting the road. It's about real life. Those moments and situations where we are just emotionally and mentally overwhelmed. We don't know where to turn or even what to pray for. But in such moments, we find out exactly what it is we believe in, and who It is we truly do trust. I love what the Apostle Paul wrote in of the darkest periods of his life. Keep in mind Paul isn't just throwing out some flowery platitude meant to give false hope and comfort. No! Paul is speaking from the very core of his being about who sustains him through dark times.... Paul writes in II Timothy 1:12 - That is why I am suffering here in prison. But I am not ashamed of it, for I know WHOM I have believed (Who I have trusted in), and I am sure that He is able to guard and keep what I have entrusted to Him until the day of His return.

So what is it Paul has entrusted to Jesus?
His very life and soul.....
Why? Because Jesus is trustworthy. He will do what He has promised us He would do...end of story.

This is where I want to throw myself and my energy.....
One hundred percent into believing and trusting Jesus as I have made the decision to turn my will and my life over to His care. I do so in the understanding I have of Him and who He is today. Knowing that if continue to live in this manner, I will grow in my knowledge and understanding of Jesus. Such growth will only lead me to trust Him even more. This is the heart of recovery.
Throwing the old way of living away....
That old life that said I had to trust myself and no one else.
Such misplaced trust will only lead me down the path to more and more destruction.
And embracing a new way.....
One that you grow into....
A way of living that will aid you in weathering the storms of life that come to everyone.

Finally....
A word of thanks to Ann Wynne for supplying me with a computer that has enabled me to post this morning. Ann....you beat everything. Take $10.00 out of petty cash.
Until Tomorrow....
God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...