Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Where Have You Gone Thomas Paine?



Proverbs 21:16
The person who strays from common sense will end up in the company of the dead.

Common sense is (to me) defined as the collective view and understanding  that you build over the years, that helps you to deal with everyday decisions that have to be made.
Common sense tells me to not jump into traffic....
Don't stick the fork in the electrical outlet.....

and last but not least......
Don't forsake buying groceries and paying my bills so I can spend my money on drugs and alcohol.....
Common sense....


common sense seems to decrease the longer someone stays in addiction....
It seems to fall by the wayside as a different way of living is adopted and implemented....

So, as easy as it is to read the black part of the Bible, let's take a look at what the "White" part says....
What did the verse originally say?
"Person who strays from common sense will end up in the company of the dead"...could that be the "Walking" Dead? Not the T.V. show but those who are living and breathing and moving outside the will of God.

So how would the white part read? Well, it would be the opposite of what the black part of the verse reads.
"The person who embraces common sense will end up in the company of the living."

In such company, I will be encouraged to move forward in a positive way with my life.
In such company, I will develop healthy, thriving relationships.
In such company, I can give back to others thereby strengthening my own recovery.


Common sense in the life of a believer is directed by the Holy Spirit.
Our in-house (Or in this case, in-heart) teacher who puts us in touch with God's truth on every level of our existence. Such is why we use such terms as "following" Jesus. We are always trying to hear what He is saying through the Holy Spirit, and then making application with it in our lives. This is the basis for the whole "building a house on a solid foundation" we read about in Matthew 7:24-27. We become a wise carpenter who is not only building for today, but laying the plans and groundwork for tomorrow and beyond.

Let the rain come....
Let the floodwaters rise....
Let the winds blow....
We are firmly entrenched in God's word, work and presence.
Now if that isn't common sense, then I don't know what is.


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...