Monday, November 7, 2016

Step # 11 Orders My Steps


Psalm 37:23-24
The STEPS of a good man are ordered (established) by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down (destroyed) For the Lord upholds him with His hand.

Taught on Step #11 last night at Catalyst Recovery. You may be asking, "What is step #11?", well I'm glad you asked.

Step #11
We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

When I am moving through my day (under the directive of Step #11) I am staying aware that God is directing me. I guard my thoughts that enter my mind. I shut down everyone that is tugging me back to my old way of thinking, and I rely heavily on God's power to carry out such a task. Sounds like a lot of work......it is. But the end results is worth it if I don't give in and go back to my old dark way of living.

I love the verses from Psalm 37. They are verses of hope to me. The idea that God provides a firm foundation for my steps to be taken on is an encouragement to me. That foundation is a result of a daily time of prayer and mediation. Now, we're all up in the prayer thing. Not very hard to do, especially if you're headed for trouble. "OH GOD! OH GOD! OH GOD!"...see....got the prayer thing down pat. Now the mediation thing...that is a horse of a different color. I believe most of us tend to sluff off mediation. Truth is, it is like a mental / spiritual exercise that is the very heart of improving our conscious contact with God.

Mediation doesn't have to be an long drawn out process...any amount of time spent is worth while. Find yourself a quiet place to go. Take your Bible and find a chapter that speaks to you (important to you). I prefer the Psalm for my mediation. David was high on placing His thoughts on God. Close your eyes, asking God to give you peace. peace to your heart.........peace to your thoughts.......peace to your mind. It will be a struggle at first, don't be discouraged. your mind is going to try to take over with thoughts about tasks that you may have to do that day. Keep focusing on God.  Now read a verse...one verse....It might be John 3:16. Read it slow, then close your eyes and ask God to show you what this verse really means. Ask Him to let you see it in a way that might never haves seen it before. Voila'...You have begun to mediate on God and His world.

The Apostle Paul writes about keeping our thoughts on Christ.

Philippians 4:8 - Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. THINK about these things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

Believe me....Your heart will be very much in "conscious contact" with God if you put this into practice.
God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...