Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Meeting Jesus On a Porch, In The Darkness

Mark 5:6
When Jesus was still some distance away, the man saw him, ran to meet him, and bowed low before him.

If you are familiar with this story from Mark 5, then you'll know that the man mentioned was demonized. IN fact, there have been suggestions that since the name associated with him (LEGION) refers to the number of demons who were tormenting him. What matters is that in spite of the number of demons....in spite of the darkness that had consumed this individual....when he saw Jesus (even from a distance) he ran and bowed down before him.

At the "Shed" Bible study last night, there was a man present who had a similar problem. Like the man in Mark 5, he was severely oppressed and harassed by demonic spirits. The man also suffered from a mental disorder, which was very evident. He did manage to show up for the Bible study, which was a plus. Sat next to me and could not be still.
He took out a small piece of paper and his pen and began to write. All the time talking..."Got to get right"...."only way to beat this"...."Help me God". The "help me God" part was repeated over and over and over. Finally, about 20 minutes into the study, he bolted. Out the door.

Afterwards, I told Elmo (Head honcho for these transitional houses) that I was going to go and find this guy to pray for him.
I found him....
He was on the front porch of the house he was staying in, walking around with his Bible in his hand, praying.

Rapid fire words coming from his mouth...
"Help me God! Help me God! Help me God!".

Jeremiah Smith was with me, and as we approached him I asked if we could pray for him. "Yes...Yes...I need prayer...I need God!"

But before we started praying, the man took out he note (picture above) and handed it to me. "I wrote this prayer down, cause I ain't to good at speaking. Do you think God will hear it?" I assured him that God had heard his prayer. In spite of all the darkness that was trying to consume this man, he reached out to the only one he knew could save him. Here is what his note said:


Dear God....
I know that I've sinned and I turned my back on you.
I know now that I want you back in my life.
I don't want to be this kind of person.
I really need your help and I know I need help
And I have nobody to help me.
So how can I get help?

Please show me the way, and I will do it.
I don't want to do drugs no more.
It has made my family turn away from me.
They won't help me.
I want to be a good person but I need a lot of help.

We had a "come to Jesus" meeting there on that front porch last night.
I do not know what will become of this man.
He was only staying for one night until the authorities came for him today.
But I do know this....
God will not reject anyone who turns to Him.
God will not leave them alone and floating in a sea of darkness.
Please pray for this man if you will....
Pray that what took place on  that porch last night will be a seed bed of God's truth and goodness, and that it will produce fruit in this man's life.

God on you...
mbb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...