Monday, March 13, 2017

A Man With An Experience


Philippians 3:10-11
That I may know HIM and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Not real encouraging words on one level....
You have references to death and suffering....
That will sure fill up the altar if you preach this, wouldn't it?

Then you throw in the word "KNOW"....
"Know Him"....

"Know the power of His resurrection"
"Know the fellowship of His suffering"...
What Paul is saying is that he truly wants to experience these things. Experience them up close and personal.
Not allow them to be simply mental thoughts and concepts, but rather the real-deal-every-day-experience of being a follower of Christ.

Seems to me that in our day and age, the message of the cross includes a lot of dodging these things that Paul found so valuable.

That we're afraid to actually talk about them. Since we don't really desire to live in such a way, we better not tell others that this is what real life with Christ is all about...

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be a doom/gloom/voice of darkness called out to rain on every one's parade. When we are truly connected to Christ, there is a whole other set of divine emotions that come into play. Why? Because as Paul wrote "Whatever things (jobs, comfort, position, power, wealth) were gain to me those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Really? Do you think maybe ol' Paul was simply using these words to gain the attention of those who read the? Do you think maybe Paul was trying to make himself look all religious-fied?That Paul really was saying "Y'all do what I say...not what I do!" I don't think so.

I'm not the brightest color in the box of crayon's, but I truly believe that Paul had found the value of his salvation. The real value is found in Christ. In knowing Him. In knowing all about Him. In knowing what He went through so that you and I could experience and have this new life here and now, as well as after we die. Paul understood the power that the world had on those who were living outside this new life that Jesus has offered. He knew the human heart and the capability it possessed to love the world system. To put wealth and power ahead of what Jesus has offered to us all. 

Paul took inventory of his life....
Two columns....
One marked B.I.M.C. (Before I met Christ)

And one marked A.I.M.C. (After I met Christ)
He then listed the pro's and con's to each.
Turned out the B.I.M.C. had a lot of con's and some pro's.
The A.I.M.C. side had not cons...and all pro's.


That is what I want to do...
This is how I want to live...
Not because it might make me look really spiritual...
Not because I'm trying to make myself look better...
But because it's the simple math of the Kingdom of God.

The world has nothing of lasting value to offer me...
Jesus has given me everything from His riches....

I'll take Jesus.

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...