Saturday, March 4, 2017

If This Were My Last Day.....





I'm not a deep thinker.....
I can't unravel the mysteries of the universe, or quote you the secret seasoning to the Colonel's chicken. But I do know a little about life. The ups and downs that seem to wash over us all like surf on the beach. I know that each of us have been given an allotment of days to live out here on this planet. I know that the very days we have been given are a gift from God, and that I should (not always what I do) live them wisely and under His direction.


It seems as though the days we are given come like assorted chocolates.
Some are tasty and wonderful to enjoy....
Others leave an after taste that is not pleasant. You make a mental note to not eat that kind anymore.
Life is like that isn't it?
Enjoy the days when everything seems to go right and you truly do believe that God is in the heavens and all the earth should rejoice. Drink up the good days. Soak up every memory of what that day was like. You see, by doing this you are storing up the makings of gratitude.
We seldom have gratitude when everything is going right.
We tend to take good days for granted sometimes as if they were a divine right for those who belong to God.
What I have found is that we store the gratitude and then pull it out for use when we have a day where the wheels come off. When the sunshine disappears and the clouds come rolling in. When our spiritual umbrella springs a leak and we are soaked by the downpour of problems and emotions that come with them.
Remember! Think back and be grateful for what God has done for you in the past. Yes, right now is a pretty bad time but I find hope in the gratitude that I can place myself in.

Lack of gratitude propels us into one of mankind's most popular activities. Having a pity party for yourself. Feeling sorry for yourself. This is a hard place to be in because we want to garner the sympathy of others or at least invite some people to join us in our misery. You know what "THEY" say..."Misery loves company."

Psalm 89:1-2 reads:
I will sing of the Lord's great love forever. With my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. I will declare that your love stands forever.
Lift your vision higher. Look beyond the situations and circumstances that surround you today. I'm not saying ignore them. I 'm saying don't allow them to dictate your emotion or response. Look beyond to God who is your savior.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.....

I want to leave you with this thought today. Why? Because it will be the thought I carry around with me as I move through my day. What if today is to be your last day here on planet earth? What if you knew that with the stroke of midnight tonight you would draw your last breath? Would you live it differently than you normally would? I think maybe "yes" would be our answer. Some might become super-selfish and try to cram in as much living as possible. Others might spend it in contemplation on how they have lived up to this point. Still others may simply be about their Father's business of loving and sharing what God has done to them.........through them.........and for them.

I want to leave you with a song by Mark Heard entitled "Last Time". It has followed me through the years ever since I first heard it at Don and Jennie Rakestraw's house back in the early 80's.

God on you today..........
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...