Monday, March 6, 2017

Self Discovery


Step # 6
We were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

Saturday I made my mind up...
I was going to attend. Really wasn't making my mind up. I'd decided earlier in the week that I would show up for  my High School Class luncheon. We have a full blown Hoo-ha every 10 years, but some time back the decision was made to have a simple get-together-luncheon where folks can catch up on what has been going on.


As I walked into the room, a funny thing happened. I'm sure no one noticed. It wasn't a dramatic thing to anyone else, but to me it was huge. I discovered that God had been working in me. He had removed a character defect of mine that had plagued me for years.....Insecurity. Growing up, I was the poster child for insecurity. I was never good enough....I was never smart enough...I would not try new things because I  knew I would fail. About the only thing I was good at, was hiding these insecurities. But there in that room Saturday, I was very comfortable with who I was, where I had come from, and where God was taking me.

I discovered something else.....I had projected those insecurities onto the people in that room, when we were back in high school. "They don't like me! They don't want anything to do with me".  It wasn't them...No one in that room had ever done anything to me. Never spoken a harsh word, or ridiculed me...I projected my insecurities onto them. I guess I needed someone to blame for my brokenness. How messed up is that? How much did I miss out on because of insecurity? A lot.

So with this newfound discovery and ease, I stayed longer than I intended. Moving around talking to different people, I had a really good time. This is our 48th year since graduation. We've had several in our class who have died. Others are struggling with health issues. Time has taken it's toll on all of us. I joked at church yesterday that I had gone to a class reunion, but when I showed up there was only a bunch of old people there. But yesterday, those people became very dear to me. 


Some say that time heals all wounds...
I don't know about that.
I do know that God heals all wounds....even those defects of character.

Oh yeah...those two folks I'm seated with in the picture above.....
Joyce and Delane Archer....
We started school together in the first grade, and went all the way through to the twelfth. Good solid people these two. Still live in Gallant...raised their kids and now have a passel of grand's. 

It was good to catch up....

I think maybe that declaration we use to say at Rapha is true...
Because of Christ's redemption
I am a new creation of infinite worth...
I am deeply loved
I am fully pleasing
I am completely forgiven
I am totally accepted 
I am absolutely complete in Christ

That is who Michael Bynum is today...
Through no effort on his part, but in an acceptance and embracing of the healing work of God.
You can know truth with you head....
Or you can let it have it's course and work in your heart to bring about change that you could never bring about on your on.
I think I'll take the latter.

God on you...
mbb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...