Friday, March 31, 2017

Truth



If you've done any reading at all in the Bible, or if you've attended church for any amount of time, then I'm sure you've heard the verse from John Chapter 8.
Verse 32 tells us the words of Jesus. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

The implication of the verse is that we have been trapped by a lie. That deception has clouded our minds and has affected every area of our life. Now when Jesus says that we will KNOW the truth, he isn't speaking of a thought or mental concept. He's talking about we will run head on into the truth. It will be a "truth" encounter of some sort. But if you want to take this one step further, then you have to back up to Verse 31. Let's take a look at that one.

V.31- Jesus said to the people who believed in him, "You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings." What? There is a standard of obedience required of us in our daily lives. Where do I find this standard. Seems to me Jesus said that if would come from His teachings. That means I have to read, digest, take in the scriptures. But that sounds like rules and regulations. It would be if I were trying to run the show in my own strength, ability and talent. But God has given to us a POWER that enables us to reach and attain His standard. This Power has a name...the Holy Spirit.

The Bible tells us specific direction on how to live life.
The Holy Spirit tells us when and where to apply these directions.

I taught a Bible study last night where one of the men could not hear the truth.
I really believe, because of his words and actions, that he was blinded to the truth. I engaged him in conversation.....I confronted him about his blindness....but according to him there wasn't anything wrong with him. It was me that had the problem. How can I say that he would not hear the truth? Because of the evidence in his life. He claimed to be a "Christian". We was adamant about his stance and beliefs.  But the track record he has created through the use of drugs and alcohol said other wise. He remained stubborn. He was right in his mind and everyone else was just picking on him. 


Now let's fast forward to after the meeting.
I closed our Bible study with prayer, and told the guys that usually we'd offer an opportunity for them to be saved. I told them that I wasn't going to do that. What I was going to do was be outside and if anyone felt the Holy Spirit leading them, for them to come and talk to me. I knew that someone was going to take me up on that. Sure enough, about 10 minutes after the meeting, a man walks up to Jeremiah Smith and me. He speaks slowly, almost with a trembling voice...."I need to be saved."  This man had heard the truth of God...he'd allowed the  Holy Spirit to speak to his heart and reveal the truth of his own life. Now he was ready to embrace this truth.

He prayed to God.
Confession...
Repentance....
Forgiveness....

Filled with the Holy Spirit....
And all the while this was going on...as this man prayed....tears. He probably hasn't cried in years, but standing in the yard, outside that old shed, this man met Jesus. This man met the truth. This man was set free.
Now that was payday for me.

So if you would, remember John this morning, because the John that got up this morning was not the same John that was moving around yesterday.
He is a new creation.


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...