Thursday, June 29, 2017

God Doing For Me What I Could Not Do For Myself



Romans Chapter 5
V.1 - Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God of because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us.

The apostle Paul makes an incredible assumption here in this first verse of Romans 5. He begins by stating the fact that when someone is saved (or in the recovery vernacular - "Turns will and life over to the care of God) then they are made right. 

In other words, all the past deeds and behavior have been forgiven, eradicated, and tossed aside. When God looks at us, He sees us as perfect (according to Hebrews 10:14). As some of you read what I have just typed, I can hear the voice that is whispering to you. "I don't feel perfect!" Well, guess what? It isn't about your feelings. It is about you believing in faith. Scripture does not say "By feelings you are saved".......no! By faith. I confess this truth even when everything in me screams no. Too often we fall back into old ways because we listen to our feelings.

V.1 of Romans 5 goes on to tell me that not only have I been made right with God, I am no longer an enemy of God. I have peace. You may be thinking that you never were an enemy of God. We all were before we gave ourselves to Him. Conviction......Confession....Repentance....Receiving His Holy Spirit inside me....has taken away that vast Sin-separation, and has brought me into His presence and His family. 


All of this...
This setting me right in God's eyes...
The receiving of peace from God....

The exercise of my faith....
Comes from what Jesus accomplished when he died on the cross...AND!

Rose from the dead.
Jesus became the door through which true recovery can be entered into.
I'd hate to think my recovery was based on the belief that my higher power was coffee cup or a door knob as some in A.A. proclaim. 

Notice what happens when Verse 1 of Romans 5 becomes a reality in my life.
V.2 - Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory.

The Power to change me and take me out of my addiction is, and always has been, present for me to experience. The life that has eluded me has always been available for me to lay hold of. It isn't possible to enter into it through my own exercise of strength, will and ability. The only way to appropriate it is through my faith that God can do for me what I cannot do for myself.

I like the idea of being transferred mentally, emotionally, and spiritually into a place of privilege where I can stand and not be tossed about by emotion and feeling. The Recovery Bible calls such a place "Undeserved privilege"...I call it a place of God's grace. Years ago, Vicki and I went through a teaching that explained what Grace was, and we have never forgotten the definition of grace.

"Grace is the EMPOWERING presence of God in our lives that enables us to be who God created us to be, and to do what He has called us to do."
Because of God's grace....
My turning from my sin/addiction...
My receiving the finished work of salvation that Jesus offers...
I now have hope...
Real hope...
Hope for today that God will lead me through the pitfalls and traps that lay before me....
Hope for tomorrow that I will stand in God's presence and worship the one who did for me what I could never do for myself.

Sounds like winner...winner...chicken dinner!!

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...