Friday, July 21, 2017

Simple Light


Matthew 5:14
You are the light of the world---like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.

There are certain things that take place in a person's life that you know....you just know, are from God. That His Spirit is at work and has brought change to this life that only He could do. The person in question had chased the darkness for many years, leaving a trail of destruction behind them. But today, as you talk to them, you can attest to the fact that God has indeed brought them back from the dead, and has given them new life. I refer to these individuals as "Payday's". In other words, the effort to lead them to Jesus....their receiving His salvation offer...and their desire to change even more is  confirmation to me that God is still on the throne, and His word has not lost any of its power. In other words, Isaiah 59:1 is still in effect: "Listen! The Lord's arm is not too weak to save you, nor is his ear too dead to hear you call."

I traveled over to St. Elmo's Cathedral last night. That is the term we use to describe the meeting place at Shane Elmore's Transitional House. Seth Barber was in charge of bringing the food and the Word, both of which he delivered on, might I add. Seth spoke from I Corinthians 6:17, and the need to separate from the old friends, old play grounds, and old way of thinking. It was a good word that Seth brought, using examples of his own life to show that the Power of God can indeed bring new life to those who are truly ready to change.

Afterwards, there is always a lot of back-slapping, "pray for me"..and hand shakes that goes on. Making my way to my car, I was standing, talking with Jeremiah Smith, when a man who'd been in the meeting came up. This particular individual is one who has truly turned from his old ways. He hasn't just given lip service to this change....He has cast off everything from his past and is now chasing this Jesus like nobodies business. He burns with a passion to know God more.

I asked him, "If God were standing here, right now in front of you, and He asked you, "What do you need?" What would you tell Him.  This man stood there in silence for a long time...no words at all. His eyes filled with tears, and you could tell by the look on his face that these were tears of gratitude...."I don't need anything", he replied...."Just Him". 


This individual has a ways to go yet in his recovery. Everything is not perfect in his life, and there are still battles he must fight. But to say that He only wants more of God, tells me that he has found the secret of being content no matter what situation he is facing. He truly has embraced the truth that "He can do all things through Christ who strengthens him." 

Jeremiah and I got to pray for this man..
Thanking God for the blessing that is flowing to others through this individual. That Grace and Mercy follow him wherever he goes, and that he would never stop telling his story to others.


Driving away from the meeting, I couldn't help but be a bit jazzed, thinking to myself..."God, you just beat everything, you know that?" It was a good night...


God on you...

mbb 

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...