Sunday, July 23, 2017

Stories From Last Night


Matthew 5:48 (The Message Bible)
In a word...what I'm saying is grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.

Each week when we come together for VRC, we never know what is going to take place. Who will be a "first-timer"....who may have an encounter with Christ....Who will go away changed for the better. We do know that God will manifest himself during our meeting. That is the one thing we count on each week. Going back to the birth of VRC, God told me in no uncertain terms that this was going to be His meeting, for me to stay out of the way. I have done my best to operate in this manner. 

I knew something was up for last night when He changed the message at the last moment. It was 5:30 p.m., I was sitting, going over my notes as I always do each Saturday. Lo and behold, a thought floated through my noggin. "This isn't what I want you to say tonight." I've heard this before so to change was no big deal. The big deal is "what do you want me to teach on tonight." I happened to look down at my Bible, to a passage in Ephesians 3. It lit up like fireworks. "O.k....Ephesians 3 it is."

Ephesians 3:14 (The Message Bible)
My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask Him to strengthen you by His Spirit----not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength----that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in.

A young girl comes up for prayer....
She came for the first time last Saturday, and was back again last night. She told her story...
Last night, she wanted to use...
Life is hard beyond hard for her....life is hard x 10.
I want go into the details of her life, but you see the grace of God on her as she should have been dead multiple times.
She said, "I wanted to use tonight..I didn't really want to come here. It was offered to me, but something inside me said, "No!". So I got up and came here.


Sometimes the stories from Saturday night don't always have happy endings. I met with a person on Friday who had hit bottom. They were totally drowning in shame and guilt. But here's the funny part of addiction...and I don't mean "ha-ha" funny. They wanted out of the mess that comes with using. They wanted a fresh start. They wanted it to happen their way. In other words, they were searching for the easier, softer way as the Big Book of A.A. states it. I told them that they needed to get connected with some folks that could guide them as the navigate out of all the mess and destruction. Some folks that could point to the real HIGHER POWER, Jesus. I mentioned several meetings that they could take advantage of, and when I mentioned VRC they assured me that they would be there on Saturday night. So last night I kept looking for them to come through the door. It never happened. I don't really know why they didn't come, but I do have a guess that it might not have been good. So without mentioning their name, We, as a group, prayed for this person. It's 4:56 A.M. on Sunday Morning, and I still lift the prayer to God that He would keep this individual from further destruction. To be honest with you, we've buried too many...way too many. 

After the meeting, folks seemed to hang around a bit longer than normal. This is my favorite time. Small groups gathered all around the room. Laughter....hugs....Shouts of "See you next week!" I stand and take it all in. Driving home, I have the same thought I have each week after VRC. "Wow God, you did good! How are you going to top that?" You know what? Next Saturday He will. He's that kind of God, isn't He?

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...