Thursday, August 3, 2017

My Friend


Psalm 133:1
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity.

Well, old friend....here we are. Forty-nine years after our first meeting in Miss Hazel Hicks homeroom, our senior year in high school. I am going to try not to go all mushy in this writing this morning, but there is so much I truly want to say about our friendship.

First on this list....WHY?
One of the great mysteries I guess. If ever there were two polar opposites in life, that would be us. I know that during that senior year, and into our first years in college, we were often referred to as the odd couple. You were Fillet Mignon to my bologna....you were a Rolls Royce to my 1941 Ford coupe. To be honest, I know that our friendship isn't a real mystery. The common bond that brought us together was the Spirit of God. He had plans, and what plans He had.

The defining part of our friendship was your belief that there was more to this God we were hearing about than we were being told. How many times, in the course of a conversation back in the day, did you say "There has too be more than we're being told." That became fuel in your spirit that moved you forward. And Me? Well, I was invited to take this journey with you. What a journey it has been. Isn't that the way our journey has played out? You going a head of me, turning to me, saying, "Come on! You can do this!" You believed in me when no one else did. You saw a call in my life that I knew was there, but my insecurity kept it in a head-lock so it couldn't get out. In May of 1997, I remember the words you said to me..."Have you ever thought about being ordained?" Those seven words broke the hold that insecurity had on me and brought me freedom for the first time in my life to do what God had called me to do. It's been on like Donkey Kong ever since that day.

So why all the focus on you, Jim Bentley?
Well today is your birthday.....so a happy "big-un" to you. May you eat Salsa, popcorn, and Cheese-it's without any digestive repercussions!! May you find the ultimate movie to get lost in. I wish this day for you to be the best....
Thanks for all you do....
Thanks for who you are....

Thanks for being a true friend...
Happy Birthday Jim.

I'll close out with a video that pretty much sums up our trip through life.
So I think maybe what we talked about in your younger days has now proven to be true. All we need to find is that park bench...
I don't know about you, but what say we see this thing all the way to the end....
And beyond.

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...