Monday, August 21, 2017

The Foolish Things Of The World


I Corinthians 1:26-28
Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world's eyes or powerful or wealthy when God called you. Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. 

We read the verses from I Corinthians and we say, "Yes, Lord!". But sometimes it is hard to wrap you mind around the ways and directions God takes to bring about His kingdom  plans for this time and space, especially when God raises up someone for His purposes that no one else would have ever chosen.

She has been coming to Saturday night for over a month  now. She has shared her story with me, and it is the story of a life that no person deserves to have lived through. Some of the darkness is from her own choices, but a lot of what she has suffered through has been from the hands of those she thought she could trust.  Still in spite of her circumstances, she shows up ready to worship....ready to hear the word...ready to receive prayer.

This past Saturday she came a little early, wanting to talk and share something that had happened to her. She told me that she had been sitting on the front porch of where she was staying, studying her Bible and praying when something unusual happened. She slowly shared how a "face" suddenly appeared in front of her. I asked her if she was afraid when this happened and she told me "NO" that in fact the opposite had happened. She became very peaceful. Then a voice began to explain what she needed to do. The instructions involved traveling to another town....becoming a part of a group who deals in helping others who are coming out of addiction. She asked if I thought she was crazy, and I assured her that I did not. She was very adamant that she believed God had spoken to her, and given her the next part of her life journey. She wanted to know if I thought what she had experienced was really God speaking to her. I explained that the way she would find out if it was indeed God or not was to simply walk out the instructions. If God was really telling her to pursue this course, then she would succeed as the doors opened for her to accomplish this task. If it wasn't from God, then no matter how hard she tried, she would not succeed. 


I asked her to share what had happened with the group at the end of our meeting. The whole time she is talking, there is a battle going on in my mind. One side is telling me that this is crazy....she has too much going against her to ever consider that she could reach a place of being able to minister to others. But you know what? These thoughts that were coming to me are the same kind the world uses to measure anything God is bringing forth. I had a million reasons why she would never fulfill this so called "Leading" God had given to her. My thoughts were suddenly changed when the Spirit spoke to me and reminded me that those who God calls, He equip's. The only thing required to follow God is a broken and contrite spirit, and a willingness to simply say yes to what God tells us to do. 

So the world would look upon this young woman who God has spoken to, and reject her at every turn as not being qualified or equipped to carry out such a task. Isn't that going to be a hoot when she does reach the point God is leading her to occupy? That this young girl will be able to point to God and give Him all the glory for what He has accomplished in her life. The world gave up on her. The world cast her aside as having no value or worth. But looked down and saw a vessel ready to be raised up, filled with His Spirit, and sent forth with a kingdom message.

Pray for this young lady....
Pray that God would empower her to move through every obstacle that the world and the devil places in her path.

Pray that God would provide the means necessary to reach this next level in her life journey with Jesus.

Oh yeah....one last thing....
God reminded me that I was one of those "Foolish things" that He chose to carry out His Kingdom will. 


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...