Friday, September 1, 2017

Vicki Bynum



Genesis 2:24- For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.

Man oh man...
The love of my life....
Truly my better half without a doubt....
My wife, Vicki.
Today marks 45 years of being together...
All this week we have walked around asking each other, "Does it seem like 45 to you?" Of course the answer is no. I mean, after all, 45 years of marriage is something that old folks do, isn't it?

We have weathered a lot of storms during our 45 years, but if I can say anything, I would tell you that we are here today because of the faithfulness of God's hand and the promises that we find in Scripture. Marriage truly is a daily learning process that requires both parties, husband and wife, to lay aside self.

I first met Vicki in January of 1970. She was a secretary for one of the staff members of Campus Crusade for Christ. Their offices were across the street from Gadsden High School, so every afternoon Vicki would drop by to take care of whatever clerical duties were needed. Well, it just so happened that Jim Bentley and I were in our first year at Gadsden State, and were also hooked up with Campus Crusade. In fact, they had approached Jim about turning part of the building into a coffee house that would eventually be known as THE OTHER DOOR. Catchy name, right? Well, it was named that because you had to go around to the side to enter...you couldn't use the front door, you had to use the OTHER DOOR. Anywho, Jim and I were there on this particular day, he was painting and I was waxing poetically in verse and guitar. In the middle of this incredible earth shattering of the Bee-Gee's "Massachusetts" she walked through the door and into my life....Vicki Campbell.  A vision of loveliness, eyes that sparkled and seemed to drink up every moment of life.
She proceeded to move by me, oblivious that I would be the man she married. O.k. neither of us knew where this road would take us.

She seated herself at a typewriter (remember those?) and commenced to dispatch the daily correspondence. I, being the quick wit I am, seated myself directly across from her and commenced to work on a song. "Excuse me," she said. "What are you doing?" I replied that I was writing a song, and was simply trying to gather my thoughts. Of course my thoughts were all about her. Well, one thing lead to another. There where phone calls to her, and eventually we had our first date...January 19, 1970. We painted the town on that first date. We went to the coffee house to hear a local musician, and then to Pasquale's Pizza Parlor, located at that time on Court Street.

Cheese Pizza, two Dr. Peppers, four quarters in the Juke box, and tons of conversation. I like this girl.
And of course if you follow the simple progression of dating, liking someone has the potential of turning into loving someone. Alas, we spent the better part of 1970 arguing and breaking up, only to get back together. But in 1971, I asked her to marry me, she said "yes!" and on September 1, 1972 we were married in the courtyard of Twelfth Street Baptist Church.

Funny part in this journey is the simple fact that I thought I loved her way back in 1972. I didn't really know what real love is like. Today I do. She still takes my breath away when she comes into a room. Her's is the voice that I long to hear. Her's is the last face that I see before I go to sleep each night, and the first one I see when I rise in the morning. The touch of her hand still gives me butterflies. When she isn't around, I am half a man. Together we are complete. She is my forever love.

So with this in mind, she and I will celebrate this day....
We hope we can pull off 50 and beyond. Praying that the good Lord will grant us more years, but rest in the knowledge that we will be together for eternity, worshiping in His presence. Is that cool or what?

So here on this day, September 1st, I would do it all over again Vicki. The highs and the lows, the ups and the downs, the dark days and the good....I would marry you again. You are, and always will be, my forever love.

I love you sweetheart...
Michael

p.s.
"Lets do another 45! What do you say?"

1 comment:

phyllisj said...

Happy Anniversary to one of my most loved couples. Thru the many years together, Ive witnessed your amazing love for each other with respect & awe and years past, when I was in awful marriage, with envy.
You two helped me to realize the key factor missing in my failed marriage and you introduced me to my Father, the key factor in a relationship that I so longed for but had never had. Thank you both for showing me the example of a God centered marriage..I am forever grateful to now know that kind of beautiful marriage.

Have a great Day and many years to come!!
Love,
Phyllis

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...