Friday, November 17, 2017

Kingdom Work Doesn't Always Look Like What We Think It Does


Parking lot was crowded yesterday. It was near noon and people were taking care of their business, hurrying in and out of the building. I had concluded my own business and was walking back to the car when I spotted him. Slow walk...shoulders stooped and sagging, as if the weight of the world and the years were crushing him.  Head down, he moved from person to person. I could not hear the conversation, but I knew what it was all about. One after another, people shook their heads and got in their cars. He continued this behavior as he moved to the next person he saw. 

I knew that he was asking for help...
Didn't know if it was money he needed...
A ride somewhere....

Maybe even a place to stay....
But I knew he was at the end of his own ability and wits.
As he approached me, I could see that the years had not been kind to this man. Probably been a while since he'd had a bath, ate a hot meal, or even had a kind word spoken to him.

O.k.....let's take a side bar here at this point.
You know and I know that there are a lot of lazy people who simply want to scam you out of some money by telling you a hard luck story. Ones such as these have made others wary of helping. Some are just lazy, don't want to work, only want a hand out. Those we need to stay away from. But the truth is, we need to ask God to help us see the exact nature of someone who is asking for help. I'm just crazy enough to believe that if I ask God to show me if I should help or not, He will. Now back to the story.

"Mister, I sure could use some help...any at all would be appreciated."
Going on with his story, he told me that he'd been robbed the night before...
Young guys...
They took everything he had....
All his ID's...
What little money he did have...
His backpack with all his belongings....

I asked him, "What is it you need?"
He didn't ask for the moon.....
"Just something to eat," he replied.
With kind of a crazy little giggle, he went on to explain to me that it would have to be something soft because he'd lost most of his teeth.
Still not sure whether he was on the up and up, I asked him a question.
"Do you want me to go get you something?" If he were going to  use the money for other purposes, he would say, "No...that's o.k., if you can help me out I can buy my own food."  But he didn't answer that way. "You mean it? If you could do that, it would be great." I knew he was on the up and up.

"How about a loaf of bread, a pack of bologna, some mayo and a bottle of coke?"
You'd thought he had won the lottery. His face lit up and gratitude was very evident. As we took care of our business, I told him about VRC. Told him that we met on Saturday nights, that we were downtown on Broad Street, and we would have hot coffee and cookies. Told him that he was more than welcome to join us. With a hesitancy, he looked himself over as if to gauge what he was wearing. Before he could say anything,  I told him, "Your dressed just fine. You'll fit in perfectly." He smiled.  I asked him if I could pray for him. He agreed.
So there in that parking lot, we took care of some kingdom work. Pray was short...but to the point. Tears in his eyes, he shook my hand and said, "Thanks, I appreciate it." He turned and started off to who knows where. But this time there seemed to be a little more spring to his step.


Whether or not he will show up tomorrow night for VRC I do not know. I hope he does. But I know that a seed was planted in his heart. This encounter was more than money, or food bought. It was about the God of the universe reaching out to one who felt forgotten and abandoned. Let me say one last thing. I did not post this so I could get you to think I am some kind of spiritual giant. I ain't. This whole encounter wasn't even about me. IT was about God reaching out. It was about someone who was running low on hope. Someone who needed a little help. I can bet you that at some time yesterday, this man probably threw up a prayer out of desperation asking God to help him. He may have not even believed in God when he did it. When you're desperate you do some crazy things. But the God of the universe looked down on this prayer and answered it. I pray that wherever this man is this morning, he would be stirred to pursue this God we so strongly believe in. What if we all threw up prayers on this man's behalf? Who knows what might happen today.

God on you...

mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...