Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Gift That Keeps On Giving


Taking a look at John 4:10 today....
Jesus and His disciples have taken a road trip, and they find themselves in Samaria.  Not exactly the place someone who is Jewish would want to find themselves. If you looked at their elementary report card when they were in school...you'd seen that they flunked "Does not play well with others."

Anywho...
It's been a long, hot, dusty trip, and I'm sure the boy's are thinking to themselves, "We didn't sign up for this. We're suppose to be healing people to the sound of thunderous applause." But here they were...Samaria...the garden spot of the middle east. Jesus sends the boys into town for some vittles. After all, a man's gotta eat. It being noon time, Jesus sits himself down at the town well (usually the social center for the women to catch up on the latest gossip while they draw water for their families).

Here at high noon, a woman approaches the well. "Hmmmm," Jesus thinks to himself. She is alone.....no other women around.....the time for drawing water is early morning.....and early evening....not in the middle of the day. Something this woman has done has kind of put her on the outs with the other ladies. In other words...this woman may the topic of conversation by the other females when they draw water.

Jesus strikes up a conversation.
Simple question....
"May I have some water please."

The woman responds and automatically couches her words with a racist attitude....
"Your kidding? Right? Hey bud, I don't know if you've noticed it or not, but your a Jew and I am a Samaritan! We ain't gonna be holding hands, singing "We are the World", now are we? And where do you get off by asking me for a drink of water?"


Jesus' reply is where I want to park the bus today.....
"If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water."
Jesus tells the lady (By the way, this applies to you and me also) "God has a gift for you, and you don't even realize it." A gift! Something you don't deserve. Something that God did not have to give you, yet He did anyway. A gift that cannot be bought in any store (Shades of Popiel's Pocket Fisherman). One size fit's all, and there isn't any special handling fee. There ain't no operator's standing by...God personally will deliver His gift if you ask for it.

What gift?
Salvation...

A complete, total, healing of the human condition...
Receiving such will open a door (not a literal door...I'm waxing metaphorically here) that will allow you to have an ongoing, growing relationship with God. How cool is that? Way cool, that's how cool. This time of year, I'm reminded of God's gift to mankind. Remember that old saying, "Good things come in small packages?" Well, God sent the fullness of himself to earth in the form of a baby boy. An infant that would grow and go to a cross (not to mention a cruel death). He poured out His life and His blood as a ransom payment for everyone. No one excluded from this act. But like Jesus told the woman at the well....this is a gift from God. Now if someone offers you a gift, you can either receive it......or you can be a horse's patooty and reject His gift. God made the offer...it's there for the taking. Can't complain after this old life is over and you find out the ultimate truth. Can't yell, "That's not fair!!!" Of course it is. As a good friend of mine use to say..."You just can't fix stupid."


So ask yourself during this Christmas season......
"What have I done with the gift that God has given to me?"
"Have I truly applied myself and cooperated with God as His Holy Spirit has worked to change my nature and my character?"

"Do I love others more than I use to?"
"Do I love His word, and being able to have conversation with Him?"
Just some things to ponder today.
Thanks for stopping by the Greene Street Letters today.

Merry Christmas from the "B's" in Attalla.
God on you....
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...