Monday, March 5, 2018

3 Questions And A Hank Williams Tune


 Good Monday morning to you! Looking back on the weekend, I am always amazed at how God orchestrates events and meetings. One of the things I've come to learn over lo these past 21 years is that you hold what you've planned loosely so you can embrace what God wants to do. Sometimes His plans are not what I had planned.

Saturday night was a perfect example. I had been lead to study on a message concerning worship. Since our meeting is a recovery meeting, a lot of the folks who come have never been taught about what worship really is.They do not know that worship is a lifestyle lived unto God, and not a block of time where we sing some songs. Don't get me wrong, those songs are sung TO God as an offering. I digress....

Good week of study, but behind it all was a thought that kept coming to my mind. "The Songs Will Be The Message!". Huh? Does that mean I won't have to speak. That the presence and power of the Holy Spirit will be so powerful that we'll all fall down under the sheer weight of His presence.
The week dragged on and I continued to work on the teaching.

As the worship team showed up and began to unpack their gear...the feeling that the songs would be the message kept growing inside of me. Finally I dropped what I had come up with and listened as the worship team went through the songs for the evening. God was right! The songs were the message.

In the worship of four songs, three of them asked questions, and the final one made a proclamation.
Song # 1 --- "Is there any forgiveness for the things I done?"  Good place to start when you coming to Jesus.....repentance.

Song #2 ---"Is there anyone up there?" This song was about someone who'd come to the place of realizing that life was killing them because of the choices they'd made. A prayer is being offered, once again in repentance, and the question is asked..."Lord, can you hear me...would you answer my prayer."

Song #3 --- "How could you be so good?"  Like the leper who came to Jesus for healing...he knew Jesus possessed the power to heal him, he just wasn't sure he would. In the end, taking a look at life and all that salvation has brought, the question is asked, "God...how could you be so good?"

The last song was my favorite...
Old song, done in a new style.
Song # 4 -- "I saw the light". Old Hank Williams tune. There in the darkness of our sin....in a life lived on the wrong side of the tracks, Jesus turns on the light of salvation and no longer do we have to wander in our sin.

That God is something else, isn't He.
It was a good night at VRC.
Can't wait to see what He's going to do next week!

God on you..
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...