Sunday, March 11, 2018

Count The Cost


Double whammy this morning....
Rainy Sunday morning......
AND the dreaded time change.....
Oh well, this too shall pass.
Passage from Luke 14:27-28 caught my attention this morning.

"And if you do not carry your cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple. But don't begin until you count the cost."
Reckon why no one ever teaches on this? There must be something to it or why else would Jesus have even mentioned it. What if He really meant it? That we needed to sit down and take a look at what it would cost us to become a disciple of His.

What would the cost be? How about everything.....
"You don't mean that do you? Everything?"
I think maybe somehow Jesus truly does mean that.
More than the cost is the simple fact that being a disciple means hardship, persecution. We are not very welcomed people in society today. Try standing up to defend your faith under the onslaught of public opinion. Try being a person whose godly principals guide you through life. You will run into those who hate you simply because you have answered a call to follow Jesus.

To me, the cost of becoming a disciple of Christ is far outweighed by the grace, peace and love directed to me by my heavenly Father. The things that happen to me each day because of my belief far exceeds anything the world could throw at me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come off as "Johnny Holy-Roller". I'm trying to simply state some truth, that maybe from time to time when life gets hard we should examine the cost of following Jesus.

I am reminded in scripture that the coming days are only going to grow darker and darker spiritually. That we will see the human heart as we never have. The times and events of the coming days are only going to uncover and highlight the true heart of humanity, especially those who live life outside the will and love of God. Those who choose to live for themselves.

V1. - You should know that in the last days there will be very difficult times (Stressful)

V2. - For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred.

V.3 - They will be unloving and unforgiving. They will slander other and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good.

V.4 - They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God.

Maybe....just maybe, here on this rainy Sunday morning....
We should sit down and take the time to count the cost of following Jesus.
Then when we finish...
Be about the Kingdom work He has called us to.

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...