Friday, March 16, 2018

Jesus People

We were the chosen generation. We just knew it. Ours had a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit and we had been set ablaze. It was all about Jesus. It was church in a new way. We didn't reject the word. We rejected the music. We wanted to put our voice to a love song to God. There wasn't any money to be made in Jesus' name so what was coming out during these formative years was heart felt and true. This move of God wasn't about soaking it up and holding on to what God was doing. It was about giving it away. Sharing your faith with others. It was about putting legs to the faith you claimed to have. Feeding people. Helping people. Loving people in Jesus Name. It was a revolution as some in the establishment pointed out. Because it was so radical and so close on the heels of the counter culture revolution of the mid 60's, there was a lot of skepticism from parents and authorities and yes..........even the church. But we felt we were the chosen generation.

There weren't any programs or plans or agenda to this move of God. It was free flowing and each one who "jumped into the river of His Kingdom" sought to do what God put on their hearts. It was a generation that had said all we need was love. We soon found out that the love of the world was not what was needed. We needed the love of God.

We probably became a bit proud and arrogant of our new found love for Jesus. We threw away some great things the church had fought for over the years. Things that I now hold dear and sacred. But....we were the generation that was going to bring change.
In the summer of 1971(It may have been 1972..the date escapes me), a hundred thousand kids showed up in Dallas Texas for EXPLO. To worship and take to the streets to share Jesus. The cry of my generation was "ONE WAY!!! ONE WAY MAN!!! JUST JESUS!! Free and forgiven, children of the Lamb. We were the generation that was going to change things.
Chuck Smith was busy in California baptizing thousands in the Pacific Ocean. The country viewed them as long-haired hippies. God took these rejects in and change the face of church. We were the generation that was going to change everything.But we didn't. Some things changed. New churches who approached God in a new fresh way began to sprout around the country. For some of us here in Gadsden, we found this Jesus revolution through Campus Crusade for Christ. The local staff was from California and they shared with us what was going on. For many, this was new. We were not hearing this in our churches. We were not being told of the power and purity of God that was coming to our generation. 

The Jesus movement in Gadsden came through an office located across from Gadsden High School next to Graham's Drug Store. Seeds were planted in lives through Crusade's work that still are producing fruit to this day.
Time passed. Change came to all of us. It was all part of growing up.
We grew older and cynical. We married and had kids. Raised our families and tried to find our place. The generation's flame grew dim.

There are other generations coming up. I pray that I am not so cynical that when I read where this next generation has already been labeled, I discount it because of my own life. I pray that like Simeon, God would let me see this generation be completely who God has called them to be. That I pass my blessing to them along with what wisdom I have. May I impart what God has so freely given to me.
Did my generation fail?
I don't think so, but neither did we succeed.
I just think we bought into all the hoopla that said we were special. On one hand, we were. But only God gets to define a generation.
I am grateful for the years that he has allowed me to participate in His Kingdom.
I am grateful for where he has my plow today and that my wife has been joined to me to plow the same field. May we never look back.
Peace and Love Baby!
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...