Thursday, April 19, 2018

Life


Cut grass yesterday....
Cool breeze....
Sun shining...

Perfect day....
Grabbed a glass of tea and sat down on the patio to survey my kingdom.
My "almost 1-acre" kingdom....
"Looking good my friend...looking good," I thought to myself.

There was a sense of satisfaction that came over me, and it more than just feeling good about getting my grass cut.
It was a satisfaction filled with contentment..
Contentment on who I am and where God has brought me from.
It was a satisfaction about life.


One of my most favorite verses in all of scripture is the very last verse in the book of Job. Job 42:17.
If you know anything about the Bible, then you've heard about this old man.
Had it all, if you measured material possessions.
Lost his entire family except for his wife.

Had some so-called friends who came and tried to pontificate as to the "Why" these things happened in Job's life.
Then God restored the loss in Job's life (GET THIS!) after he (Job) prayed for his friends.

So the latter part of Job's life was better than the first.

But it's the last verse that is the kicker.
"Job died an old man, full of days."
I don't look at this as a bad thing...
Life is who you are in spite of the things that happen to you.

Sometimes life is what you make of it.
We can sit around bemoaning our lot...
"It ain't fair! Why me?" Or we can get up and pursue this God with everything in us.

Life is more than what you have...what you possess.
Life is good times and bad...
Life is sadness, depression, gloom and despair...
But life is also joy and happiness, laughter and tears.
Life is hugs by the grand children...
It's looking at your own children as they have grown to adulthood and seeing them carve out their own place in this world.

Life is not defined by what we have.
It is defined by who we are...........and who we belong to in our relationship with God. I belong to Him because He paid the price to ransom me from the power of sin..the penalty of sin...and the presence of sin.


And yes, life is death..

Life will extend far beyond the boundaries of this world, and where I go once I shed this mortal coil will be determined by who I have my heart, soul and life to.
As for me...
I choose to chase after Jesus.


So in my choice of chasing Jesus, at the end, I want to be remembered as "an old man full of day."
Couldn't ask for anything more.


God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...