Friday, May 25, 2018

Mountains Of Destruction


Lamentations 5:15-17
Joy has left our hearts; our dancing has turned to mourning. The garlands have fallen from our heads. Weep for us because we have sinned. Our hearts are sick and weary, and our eyes grow dim with tears.

One of the hallmarks of a life of addiction is the destruction that happens.
Homes are  destroyed....
Families ripped apart....

Finances thrown to the wind....
Day after day the pain grows, which only causes the one trapped to go back into the darkness to find relief.

With each trip comes more destruction that is added to the heap.

Herein lies the insanity of such a life.
Knowing full well the consequences of our bad choices....
Knowing the pain we're causing our loved ones....
We still choose the high.


The picture I chose for today's posting should be a symbol for this destruction I've written about. In most cases there is so much that we have brought on ourselves that we don't know where to start to clean up the mess. The process of recovery becomes such a mountain that we deem it impossible to climb over, or even deal with.

We will "Play" at recovery....
We will go to treatment....
We will say all the right things...
We will make all the usual promises....
But we are clueless as to the "how" of cleaning up our mess.

Change begins with the simplest of things that we've thought about, but never really committed to.
"The Desire To Stop Using".
When I become sick and tired of being sick and tired....
Then I will begin the process of digging out of this mess.

When my hatred for the destruction I've brought about is stronger than my fear of change...then I will rise up.
When I awake to the reality and the truth that I alone am responsible for this destruction, I will look for a POWER greater than me that will lead me out of this bondage.

POWER has a name...
That name would be Jesus.
Look to Him today and admit your weakness.
Walk up to the piles of destruction you've created and grab one board.
Throw it on the garbage heap and move to the next board doing the same.
Little by little...
Board by board, that which you thought was a mountain will be reduced.

Food for thought today...
I will be continuing this teaching tomorrow night at Vineyard ReCovery.
Hope to see you there.

God on you...
mbb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...